Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bought My First LCD Monitor & There's Two Red Spots On It!

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Hello all,

I just purchased a brand new Samsung 2253LW Sync Master Lcd Screen Monitor and I turned it on for the very first time. It's a brilliant screen except for one problem...

THERE'S TWO RED DOTS ON THE SCREEN THAT WON'T GO AWAY!!!

There's one at the middle of the screen and another at the bottom. The dots seem to disappear when white graphics are on the screen. Yet they reappear when dark/black graphics are displayed on screen.

I just bought this today and want to know if I should be taking this back to the store for a new one or if there is something I can do about this. I'd also like to know if I have to install the driver cd that came with it. I connected it via dvi cable and it works without any drivers installed. I don't know what those would be needed for... Anyways please let me know if I should exchange this at the store tomorrow before it's too late.

Thanks

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Hello all,

I just purchased a brand new Samsung 2253LW Sync Master Lcd Screen Monitor and I turned it on for the very first time. It's a brilliant screen except for one problem...

THERE'S TWO RED DOTS ON THE SCREEN THAT WON'T GO AWAY!!!

There's one at the middle of the screen and another at the bottom. The dots seem to disappear when white graphics are on the screen. Yet they reappear when dark/black graphics are displayed on screen.

I just bought this today and want to know if I should be taking this back to the store for a new one or if there is something I can do about this. I'd also like to know if I have to install the driver cd that came with it. I connected it via dvi cable and it works without any drivers installed. I don't know what those would be needed for... Anyways please let me know if I should exchange this at the store tomorrow before it's too late.

Many displays don't need drives as the Windows ones handle it fine (sometimes drivers are needed to enable special options such as undetected resolutions etc.).

Thanks

These are called dead pixels and they will NOT go away. The red subcells are both stuck in the on position, which is why they disappear when white is used as it is red on blue on and green on. Check out Dead Pixel Buddy . It uses white, black, patterned, red, green and blue backgrounds to allow you to search carefully for dead pixels. Dead pixels can be light or dark (stuck in the on or off position).

You need to find the manufacturers warranty on dead pixels or just take it back to the store to get a new one.

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 15 December 2008 - 10:53 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Would definitely try to get the store to take it back for a new one. If you wait pass the store's return date, the manufacturer, like most, have something like an eight dead pixel policy. In other words, if you have more than 8 dead pixels, they will replace it. Less...no way.

Of course, you could try pushing it, if no satisfaction, via the Better Business Bureau or even something like "On Your Side" through PC World magazine. What satisfaction you get depends on how much they are going to stand on the number of dead pixel policy (if any) or whether they want a satisfied customer.

Personally, I'd be down there bright and early to return it...or die trying. :)

Edited by Major Payne, 16 December 2008 - 05:39 AM.