Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow boot-up

• Please log in to reply

andromede

andromede

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I downloaded Windows SP3 about a month ago and my computer became really slow on start-up, did system recover to try and get rid of SP3 whereupon it came up with unable to start up due to unstable configuration, return to last known safe configuration? clicked yes, problem on start-up remains (can't do anything for 10-15 mins then it's fine). Scanned it with AVG came up with nothing but now AVG updater is disabled and system restore won't work any more. I am not sure if there is a malware problem or could it be incompatibility with the AVG? Should I uninstall AVG and try installing another antivirus for example Avast which I'm told is good?

Thanks for any info you might have - did look through existing posts but can't find anything specifically to do wioth AVG incompatibility with SP3.

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Hi there, Welcome to Geeks To Go!

First - How much RAM does your computer have? (If you don't know right off the top of your head, to find out, right click on My Computer, and select Properties, and the amount of RAM should be there.) If you've only got 256MB, then that is most likely your issue. Windows XP really needs at least 512MB to run properly.

Second, download ATF Cleaner and let it clean out your temporary files and see if that makes a difference.

I haven't heard anything about AVG being incompatible with SP3, although I suppose it's possible. I expect that your problem is most likely either the RAM and/or temp files.

andromede

andromede

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi and thanks for your speedy reply - I'm afraid I have to go to an internet cafe as I haven't got broadband at home (yes such places do exist!!) hence I only check my mails now and then. I have got 512MB but I will try the clean-up and see if that does anything. Happy Christmas!