Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Port problems

• Please log in to reply

NB3

NB3

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Good morning to everyone.

I recently was over my friend's house to try and figure out why her PC wasn't booting up properly. We finally got it to reboot in the last working version BUT for some reason, her USB ports aren't being recognized by her pc at all.

She is trying to move her data over to an external HD but of course that won't work because the USB ports aren't working so it doesn't see the new HD.

Any suggestions/help/assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Noel

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
What make/model number is the computer. If her USB isn't showing up, it could be either hardware, or just a driver problem.

Go to Start>run... type in devmgmt.msc and see if any yellow/red marks are showing up.

NB3

NB3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well it was made for her so it isn't a brand name to begin with BUT I will have her run that and let me know and I can get back to you with what she says. At this point she is ready to throw it out the window so be patient in me getting back :)

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

... so be patient in me getting back

No problem, I always check on threads I'm participating in.

NB3

NB3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
OK Makai, she did a hardware test and a driver test as well and everything is copasetic. So I had her run devmgmt.msc and no yellow flags. Yet her USB ports STILL do not work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

hurst58

hurst58

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm having USB problems also, my computer wont recongnize my printer. I bought my computer in the Netherlands and it's 220 v, now I'm in the US and bought a ebson printer thats 120 v, I dont know if thats the problem or not. I have my computer plug into a converter to change the voltage 120.

I read on-line to unplug your computer from the outlet for a minute then plug it back in and start your computer. It seemed to work for a lot of people. I tried it but no luck maybe it will work for you.

dji

dji

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
At first, you should know the difference on USB ports integrated on motherboard (back side of case) and USB ports from front side panel.
Sometimes motherboard has limited number of USB ports and USB from front side panel of case are not connected to motherboard. Or sometimes person who maintenance PC forget to connect those cable(s) Or if case has a lot of them maybe only few of them are connected.
So every test first should be tried on backs USB ports (they can be disconnected only by software)

1. after power up, enter in BIOS (hitting DEL or F2 usually you can read it from screen) and find peripheral section or something like Integrated peripherals (that depends on BIOS manufacturer of your motherboard)
2. Make sure the option ONBOARD USB is set to ENABLED
3. Now BIOS iz capable to recognize your USB Hard Drive.
Some BIOSes will automatically made such disk at the top level for booting priority.
Go in that section and if that is case remove it from boot section and put your system disk at the first position on list

Exit BIOS and SAVE changes when asked to do that.
System will restart

Windows will recognize new device (if previous ONBOARD USB state in BIOS was DISABLED) and install drivers for it (or if it can not find one will ask to install it manually)

If that pass, your hard disk is ready to use. Now you will see small green icon in your system tray. Click it by left click and select your device to safely disconnect it. Before disconnecting drive, ensure no opened application (Windows Explorer etc) use or "look on" it.
After safe removal now you can try your front-panel USB connector(s) to see which is connected and which are not.