Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Installing Windows XP PRO SP2 on Vista Computer

• Please log in to reply

Alex Super

Alex Super

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Hello,

Recently I just got new Toshiba 17" Laptop. It got Windows Vista Home Premium edition.
I want to install Windows XP PRO SP2 from CD that I bought before on it instead of Vista.

I wiped out hard drive using fdisk and started to boot from CD and Installing system on my laptop.

System started to loading files on a pc and then when usually you press F8 and agree and select a partion, after finishing loading files system shows blue screen and reboots.

I tried to do it multiple times and same result.

So I put my recovery disk and installed Vista back on it.

what can I do to install XP on my laptop.

Thanks

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Some manufactured laptops nowadays do not support XP. Did you investigate first if XP can even run on this Toshiba. If it turns out that it's not supported, there are other options like looking on the internet for people who have installed XP using various methods.

What model Toshiba is this?

yevgenievich

yevgenievich

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
probably missing sata drivers, you can add drivers into xp image using nlite

Edited by yevgenievich, 16 December 2008 - 08:11 PM.

Alex Super

Alex Super

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Thanks a lot for your help,

What is nlite?
Where I can find the drivers?

Thanks again

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
Newer computers are coming with sata hard drives. If you are downgrading to XP, you will need the sata drivers. This get installed during the XP install. There is a point where it asks you to use F6 key.

First, you need to find out if you can downgrade.

nlite is a program that allows you to build a XP install cd and integrate updates and drivers, etc into it.

What is the model of the laptop and we can look for the drivers.