Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I wonder why humans have the need to advance ourselves?

• Please log in to reply

Draygoes

Draygoes

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Humans have always had the need to make newer, better things. Ever sence the first human found a stone and figured out that it could help them hunt, humans have been advancing technology through a need, a voide to be filled.
Eventually, someone desided to sharpen that stone, when trying to find better uses for it.

I guess my question is, why do you think that humans have a need that most animals dont. Why do we have the need to make life easyer, when other animals are content in keeping things the way they are?

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
So you're of the viewpoint that man is just another animal?

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
Without going to much into evolution and things like that,it boils down to one thing:Man is lazy and looking for the easy way! Eversince the first one fall out of the tree,his wife started nagging him to improve her life. Why getting wet during a rainstorm,when you can sit nice and dry inside a cave! Why being stuck inside a cave during rain,when you can use a umbrella..........
We have the brain capacity to change the world around us to suit our needs!
The animals are driven by instinct,the only option open to them is "Adapt or Die".Mankind is changing the enviroment so fast,that evolution has no time to catch up and so many animals become extinct!

That's my 2 cents worth
Cheers
Zorba

Edited by zorba the geek, 16 December 2008 - 04:04 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Man is lazy and looking for the easy way!

Wow... all that hard work just for the "easy" way? :)

Troy

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
Laziness is the mother of invention, after all.

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
Hi Fredil,nice seeing you around,it's been a while!

Yes Troy,that what it boils down to!
Man was to lazy to walk,so he tamed a horse.Then he got to lazy to clean up the s....,and he invented the automobile (and of course the "carwash")Mans content for manual labour brought us the industrial revolution and and and........
Let's face it Buddy,our huntingdays are long over! Now it's only fastfood and TV dinners :)

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
There is no such thing as evolution!
This is not an arguable point as evolution has never been proven.
Man can not be compaired to the animals as we are self aware, animals are not.
Man has found ways to better ourself because the human spirit strives for achivment.
Do you fell good after you have acomplished something?
Of course, every one wishes to look back and see that they did something and it is good.
When humans do not achive acomplishments they become depressed.
It is in our nature to advance to a higher level.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
I would post my viewpoint, but it would turn into a religious debate and get me banned, so I won't... :)

Draygoes

Draygoes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I had no intention for this to become a discussion of Evolution Or Not.

I was asking basicly, what makes us different? I understand that we are, but why? Why do we have the NEEDS that we do?

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Again, I'd post my opinion but it'd probably get me banned, so I won't...

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
I can not state my opinion with out violating the TOU here.
Lets say that this could turn in to a religous discussion.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Keeping this discussion strictly from a scientific standpoint, as per the TOU...

There is no such thing as evolution!
This is not an arguable point as evolution has never been proven.

Gravity also has never been proven. Does gravity not exist? You cannot prove a theory in science. A "proof" only exists in mathematics. In science, a theory becomes validated (a fact) through repeated observation in support of it and no observation against it. Evolution, the changing of inherited traits from one generation to the next, is easy observable and is therefore considered a fact by the overwhelming majority of the scientific community.

There are bacteria which reproduce every few hours. Scientists have observed thousands of generations of these bacteria, and have seen their characteristics as a species completely change. This is just one of the many validations of evolution that have occurred over hundreds of years.

To ignore evolution would be disastrous. There is currently a problem with certain infectious bacteria becoming resistant to certain types of antibiotics, making them harder to kill. This is mainly due to people getting sick and getting a prescription for antibiotics, but then instead of taking them for a full 30 days, they stop taking them after 20 days because they feel better. Well, they might feel fine, but some bacteria may still be left in their system. When those bacteria reproduce, the ones with the most resistance will survive. This is natural selection, aka the "survival of the fittest". The ones resistant to the antibiotic which is in their environment have the highest chance of surviving in that environment. So, as generations go on, it will be more and more likely that bacteria resistant to the antibiotic will be the only ones that will survive. This is why understanding evolution is important. If evolution was ignored, doctors would say, "Oh well, I guess antibiotics will no longer work and we will all die." But since doctors understand evolution (as most men of science do), they know that making sure the patient finishes the antibiotic regiment will ensure that all the bacteria is killed so that they don't have a chance to evolve into a resistant strain.

Sorry to the original poster for going off topic, but I actually think this is on topic. You are asking for a scientific reason why we are different than other creatures, and evolution provides the means for that difference.

So, to answer your question, how are we different? Well, for one, it is not our self-awareness. It has been theorized and observed (just like gravity) that great apes (bonobos, chimpanzees, orangutans, and gorillas), bottlenose dolphins, killer whales, elephants, and European Magpies are all self-aware.

It is due to our increased brain size (per kg of body weight), especially in the frontal lobes of the cerebral cortex, which controls things such as self-control, planning, reasoning, and abstract thought, all of which are important for invention. It is the largest (again, per kg of body weight) of any animal. However, not so coincidentally, most of the animals I listed above that are self-aware have some of the largest frontal lobes, other than humans.

That increased brain size is a direct result of natural selection and evolution, as it is advantageous to our survival to be able to invent and advance to allow us to make things to help us be protected, get more food, etc. So why do we keep advancing? It is that basic evolutionary instinct to survive that drives us all. The easier we make survival, the more of our species will survive. The more humans that survive, the greater chance that we, as both individuals and a species, will survive, say, an alien invasion or robot uprising. :)

And to add to what Troy said, I agree that most inventions are not a result of laziness. Many inventions were made by some of the most industrious people of their time (Ben Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, etc.). The fact that society as a whole adopts the inventions is, again, as a means for an easier survival. So in that way, Zorba is right, that inventions do make life easier, but they are typically not born of laziness, but rather the desire for a more successful/productive/enjoyable survival.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Gravity also has never been proven.

The fact that we do not fly off of the face of this planet is proof of gravity, why gravity exist has not been proven.
I am not going to waste my time trying to change your belief. That would be stupid of me! But please give me the same respect for my beliefs.
However, the same limitations put on me to discuss a contriversal topic also apply to evolution. It should not be discussed in the forum.
However, if every one agreed on every subject this would be a realy boring world!
Oh, it is not being lazy so much as wanting to be better than every one else that leads people to make advancment on things.
"If I can do this better than I will be looked upon as a great man....blah blah blah"

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Actually, controversial topics are exactly what this forum was made for:

This forum is for serious, civilized and thoughtful debate regarding potentially controversial topics. Due to their volatile and sensitive nature, we will not allow discussions related to abortion, religion, politics, or sex.

Evolution, as long as it is discussed from a scientific standpoint, is a perfectly allowable topic to discuss.

The fact that we do not fly of the earth is not proof of gravity (as I said earlier, you cannot prove a theory in science), but rather an observation of gravity. Similarly, the fact that a species of bacteria may have drastically changed characteristics after many generations is an observation of evolution. Likewise, the fact that there has never been a recorded case of someone flying of the earth means that there has never been an observation in direct contradiction of gravity. The fact that a new species has never been recorded appearing out of thin air means that there has never been an observation in direct contradiction of evolution. Therefore, in the scientific community, both gravity and evolution are thought of as facts.

Also, I don't think that the want to be better than others is what leads to invention or advancement. Perhaps in a few cases, but certainly not the majority. Many inventions were made by those who wanted to help humanity. Of course, there are those who might make an invention and try and make money off of it instead of sharing with humanity, but they are still acting on evolutionary instinct in that they are trying to improve their own survival.

The staff at G2G doesn't help people to show how smart they are, but rather to help people (or so I hope :) ). Similarly, many inventors could care less about being considered great, and many great inventors were not considered great until after their death.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
I don't care what they say, but evolutionism (in my book) is a religion.

I'm not saying that evolution doesn't exist, because it does - Stettybet0 has posted some examples of it. But I find the theory of evolution as the basis for all life on earth to be preposterous. But I'm getting off the scientific aspects, so I'd better shut up.