Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't decide on a Motherboard

• Please log in to reply

Darken1

Darken1

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I am looking through parts to build my own gaming pc and have figured out a lot of what I want for it but I am having trouble with a few things still.

I am looking at an EVGA 123-YW-E175-A1
(http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813188026)

and an EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1
(http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813188024)
for my mother board

I don't know a lot about motherboards and what too look for in one I know it hast he right FSB and Socket for my CPU and that is about it.

Sli I am planning on only using one gtx 260 card but wanted to be able to add a second in the future, don't really need three.

Then there is the memory is DDR2 800 going to operate slower than DDR2 1066.

On the 132-CK board the northbridge will be blowing its hot air down onto the graphics card will that make a big difference on the heat of my GPU.

Also will a Zalman 9700 heatsink fit on this board I found a picture of a person using a Zalman on the 132-CK but i couldn't tell wiether it was the 120mm or the 92mm.

The last thing I am worried about it some where in the future being bale to add a sound cardon the 123-YW the express 1x is above the first graphics port so I guess I could get one for that and the 132-CkK has plenty of PCI the problem is from the picture of the 132-Ck it looks like the SLI bridge(figuring I will have a second gpu at that time) will prevent me from doing this.

One last thig I don't know a lot about over clocking but from what I have heard it is almost necessary unless you have the money for top of the line stuff (which I don't have, so whihc board would handle it best.

Thanks for any help you can provide to lead me in the right direction

Andrew

Advertisements

=OSS*ROID=

=OSS*ROID=

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Then there is the memory is DDR2 800 going to operate slower than DDR2 1066.

DDR2 1066 theoretically is faster then DDR2 800, but you won't notice much of a difference.

On the 132-CK board the northbridge will be blowing its hot air down onto the graphics card will that make a big difference on the heat of my GPU.

It shouldn't make much of a difference at all as long as you have proper air flow in your case.

Also will a Zalman 9700 heatsink fit on this board I found a picture of a person using a Zalman on the 132-CK but i couldn't tell wiether it was the 120mm or the 92mm.

The Zalman will fit on the boards you have chosen.

The last thing I am worried about it some where in the future being bale to add a sound cardon the 123-YW the express 1x is above the first graphics port so I guess I could get one for that and the 132-CkK has plenty of PCI the problem is from the picture of the 132-Ck it looks like the SLI bridge(figuring I will have a second gpu at that time) will prevent me from doing this.

On the 132-CK board, there shouldnt be a problem with accessing one of the PCI slots even in SLI. The only problem I could see would be if you did tri-SLI. On the 123-YW you might have a problem with SLI as two of the slots will be covered with the SLI cable, and the third might be covered by the graphics card.

One last thig I don't know a lot about over clocking but from what I have heard it is almost necessary unless you have the money for top of the line stuff (which I don't have, so whihc board would handle it best.

The EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 would definitly handle overclocking best. I also think that it is a better board overall. The layout is much better, and it uses a better chipset (780i vs. 750i).

I hope I answered all of your questions. Feel free to ask more if you need to :)

Cheers :)
ROIDO

Edited by =OSS*ROID=, 16 December 2008 - 06:43 PM.

Darken1

Darken1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks for your quick reply that information is very helpful.

Andrew

=OSS*ROID=

=OSS*ROID=

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
No problem. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Cheers :)
ROIDO

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
I just got this board -> http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813188026 the 750i

with the intel core 2 duo E8400 your ram even if it is rated for 1066 (which i got 2x 2x2 Gigs of Kingston HyperX Gaming memory) will read @ 800mghz when first installed and running at stock specs. My ram right now is running 960 i think, I am not at home to check but I OC'ed the cpu to 3.6ghz with out the blink of an eye.

A side note. If you are running windows XP 32 or 64 bit you will need to get the latest nforce 750i chipset drivers from nvidia as I had problems with the Sata controller that was provided on the disk. The system would BSOD 15-20 mins after boot or when ever I tried to access a SATA CD/DVD Drive and a USB2.0 -> SATA External drive.

Other than that it is a really nice mother board. You got just enough room on the board for 2x nvidia geforce 9800 gtx cards.

My only and last compliant on the board is the sata connectors on the board are hard to get at to depending on your case. and the connectors go in hard. But I would get the 750i. That board is awsome.