Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Nothing will run, please help(rundll?)

• Please log in to reply

FrustratedOne

FrustratedOne

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello. I appolgize in advance for anymistakes I make, such as if this post is on the wrong board. I didnt find another that would be better suited for my problem since its not a malware issue... well not anymore. Im in desperate need of advice/help, I dont know what to do... forgive if this post is a bit lengthy i know you guys like straight and to the point..i just wanna be clear...

Several weeks ago my pc (acer aspire 5100. amd turion 64x2. ati radeon xpress 1100. 100gb HDD. 1gb ddr2.) began to run very slowly, as if i was running several programs at once. I instantly thought trojan or conflict so i got several progams.. ran them and while i found several issues, nothing really got rid of them, simply detected them.

A close friend of mine told me about you guys so i registered but due to a recent move i hadnt ever posted. Recently an account of mine on a game i play was hacked so I downloaded pc tools firewall (i have avast for antivirus and malware bytes for malware). during installation i ran into some problems and ultimately it needed to reboot my system to finish installation. Also i should mention that my wife installed spybot search and destroy recently.

When i rebooted (wich took 3x as long as normal) not everything loaded and i was unable to open any programs, i couldnt even pull up task manager. i gave it time but nothign after an hour. I even had to hard boot it since i couldnt even shut down properly. Scan disk didnt run. I tried to go in through my wifes side in case it was something with my settings and i got a rundll error. still couldnt open anything. I tried to run setup at start up and it skipped right over it and ended up booting so i couldnt get in safe mode.

Im on my side now, ive tried downloading some fixes ive seen recommended on geeks to go but i cant open any of them. Nothing runs! :) I dont knwo what to do. By some grace of god i got IE open by opening it before my computer finished booting.

Ive heard of fixes for rundll before, but most of them involve reg. fix and/or programs that i wont be able to open.

I cant even get hijack this to work.

Am i screwed? Please help me. And sorry about for the essay. Thank you for you time in advance.

Advertisements

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
Well your problem points toward malware. Even the best Anti-Virus programs can miss infections. I would strongly recommend visiting the malware section:

LINK to malware removal section

Read this article before posting and don't worry about not being able to run some of the things... Just let the helper know and they will find alternatives...

Good Luck,
piano9playa5

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

FrustratedOne

FrustratedOne

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for the suggestions and help. While I fortunately didn't have to post on the Malware forum (sorry for the wrong placement of my initial post) I did take your advice on the malware and got it running like its supposed to. I'm curious what you guys think is the best program for this...maleware bytes works good for me but ultimately wasn't what solved my problem.

Is it really trial and error with these sorts of things?

Anyway thank you again, I appreciate it.... have a new problem now but it think I have posted that in the proper place here is to hoping that is also not as serious as I imagine.