Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help! None of my programs will open, unless i do system res

• Please log in to reply

daniellenicole

daniellenicole

• Pip
  • 1 posts
First off, i decided to sign up here because it looked like people really got the help they needed, and i'm going to do my best to explain the situation!
I'm not a computer wiz, so i have next to no idea what to do!

It started on like the 9th December, i left my laptop for like 20 minutes, and when i came back, everything had been closed. All the programs, and it was like it had been restarted. So then i tried to click on internet explorer, but it just froze. So i restarted my computer, and waited for the little task icons to come up and all... then double clicked on a program, and the curse just held there, doing its little processing thing! Nothing would open. I kept on restarting, trying different things, and it didn't work.

So i got on in "safe mode with networking".. (which is what i'm HAVING to use to post this!)...
i did system restore through it, as programs will open on safe mode, and then it restarted, bla bla bla, and it let me open my programs, like normal.
Until the next day, when i turned it back on again, and voila, nothing would open!
Once again i did the system restore, but this time i had to do it twice before stuff would finally open again!
But they did, eventually. And so i ran a scan, i use Panda Security, i've found it pretty good for clearing up my viruses.

It said that it had has "1 virus detected" before i actually ran the scan, but had gotten rid of it. When i ran the scan, everything was fine, and nothing was detected. So i thought it was just a blip or something.

But then i left my laptop again, and when i come back, the same thing has happened! it seems to do this when i put it into standby, or just close it, if i'm coming back in a little while.
But this time it's not working. Doing system restore.
I've tried everything,
i got as far as internet explorer opening, but it was just blank, everything froze then, and i had to keep restarting. Still, nothing has worked.
I'm pretty up to my eyes in it by now. And i've really got no idea what to try.

It's happened before, but it just worked eventually, like nothing had ever happened.

Sometimes i get as far as being able to open the volume mixer, then windows messenger pops up, and everything freezes again.

I really could do with some help! Please. I'm clueless now!

Danielle.
xx

Advertisements

bigd-super-deals

bigd-super-deals

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

this sounds a lot like an infection of some kind, are you still having these issues?
if so let me know and i'll give you some programmes to run.

THANKS BIGD :)

CompCheezy456

CompCheezy456

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey Danielle. I think you are having a similar problem like me. When I logged in to my computer as an administrator, I found out that the only programs that worked were WMP. Internet, Yahoo Messenger, everything wasnt responding. Even my music writing program was FAIL. And whenever I tried to shut down, it would freeze, and I would have to shut it down the unsafe way (using the button). So what I did is I shut down WITH THE BUTTON (the UNSAFE way), then selected Run in Safe Mode, then I logged in, and shut it down the RIGHT way (Start --> Shut down), and VOILA! it worked like magic!

I hope this helped, and even though I am 12 years old, I am pretty good at computers and it should help :).

Kevin

P.S. Rememeber to SHUT DOWN USING THE ON DESKTOP SHUT DOWN KEY. It messes up your computer if you do it the other way.