Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Dual widescreen LCDs - strange issue

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone.

I have a rather strange issue that I haven't experienced before. First, some background info...I have a dual monitor setup. My primary is a 22" Samsung 2243BWX. It is extended onto the second monitor -- a 22" Samsung 226BW. They are very similar in specs. They are both set to the same native resolution. I use this computer (self-built) every day. It is probably about 6 months old. These are both hooked up to a GeForce 8600 GT with DVI cables. The monitors and the card all have updated drivers.

Now...the problem. It seems like every time the computer is idle long enough to shut the monitors off, when I resume, the 2243BWX is blurry. And not just blurry. I don't know...it's hard to explain. The best I can explain it is that everything is blurry, and there are white horizontal lines (1 pixel thickness) very rapidly flickering up and down the monitor. Wherever the white lines flash on, it "distorts" that row of pixels. Some pixels are "jumpy" too. Rather annoying. Turning the monitor off and on doesn't do anything. Once I restart the computer, it's fine though.

I can't really say if this has been happening since I got the computer or not, but I think it probably has been. It's just becoming very noticeable and more frequent I think.

Any help? I tried to describe it the best I could!

Thanks in advanced! Would love to get this solved.

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

The symptoms you describe point to an overheated video card. I guess you already suspected that, right?

What you might try doing is opening up the case and blowing out all the dust on the vid card heatsink/fan... turn off the computer, unplug it, and use canned compressed air... be gentle! While you're in there, you may as well clean the entire computer and blow out the PSU as well.

I'm guessing you must have tried swapping the cables to see if one might be bad. Or, see if by moving the monitors/cables, you can isolate if the vid card output is actually bad on one channel, or if it's actually the fault of the 2243BWX monitor itself.

Edited by makai, 16 December 2008 - 08:07 PM.