Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

One question about my computer

• Please log in to reply

Antimsaash

Antimsaash

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
Hi!
I have:
Dell Vostro 1500
Intel® Core 2 Duo Processor
Processor Cache 2Mb
2GB DDR2 SDRAM
Memory Speed 667 Mhz
Video: 256 MB Nvidia GeForce 8600m GT
------------------------------------------------
Above is my current system, I want to know few things.
1. How much can i extend my RAM from 2 GB to??
2. Can i buy my own Nvidia GeForce Graphics card and install it? If so, whats the highest config. i can buy?
Thank you
Antimsaash

Edited by Antimsaash, 16 December 2008 - 08:04 PM.

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
You can upgrade to 4.0GB RAM.

I highly doubt that you can upgrade the video card. Most video adapters on laptops are built into the motherboard and can't be changed (In my experience.) I've only ever seen one laptop (and I don't remember what brand or model it was) that had a removable video card.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I highly doubt that you can upgrade the video card. Most video adapters on laptops are built into the motherboard and can't be changed (In my experience.) I've only ever seen one laptop (and I don't remember what brand or model it was) that had a removable video card.

There are actually a lot of laptops where the graphics card can be replaced, and even upgraded. It all depends on whether or not the cards are compatible and the manufacture has the drivers. Sometimes (most of the time) ATI/Nvidia all-in-one drivers can even be used for those respective manufactures... but not always.

As far as your Dell goes, while the graphics card can be removed/replaced (per THIS), I don't know if there are compatible cards you'll be able to find that would work. You will probably have to go out on Google and search if anyone has done this before.

Antimsaash

Antimsaash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
hi

thanks for the prompt reply... i'll just upgrade RAM then...

this Nvidia is giving me lot of problems... it keeps on crashing my game saying nvlddmkm.sys stopped working, and restarting blah blah blah... does that quite a lot.... i think i've all my drivers up to date... donno what seems to be the problem... may be an upgrade to the system will fix it.

thanks

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Some people with this nvlddmkm.sys problem are turning off UAC. I don't run Vista yet, so I don't know where you would do this. Probably somewhere in Control panel.

Antimsaash

Antimsaash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
i've turned off that UAC long time ago... doesn't work..

Anyway!

I checked the back of my laptop and i noticed that there is only one slot to enter a RAM and the current one is

Samsung 1gb 2Rx16 PC2-5300-555-12-A3

but my bios shows that i have 2 GB ram.... is that one Stick of RAM that says 1GB, actually 2..

Also, i want to upgrade it to 4 GB, which RAM do you recommend i should use...

P.s. i took out my ram and under it , it says DDR2 Only...

If that helps...

Thanks

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
The second slot is under the keyboard. Dell does things like that and then says that only a licensed technician can add more RAM. Instructions on how to add more RAM can be found here.

Antimsaash

Antimsaash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
so which one do u recommend me for buying???

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
What do you mean? I wasn't recommending anything with that link I sent - Just showing you how much it would take. If I were to recommend RAM, it would probably be two of these Kingston chips. I like Kingston RAM. They make good products.

skyhintack

skyhintack

• PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

You can upgrade to 4.0GB RAM.

Actually, depending on your Operating System depends on how much RAM you'll be able to utilize. If your using a 32-bit OS (like Windows XP/Vista 32), then the Max usable is 3.0 GB, whereas for a 64-bit OS you can use 4.0 GB (or more).

Antimsaash

Antimsaash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
but i can put 4 GB in 32 bit operating system right?

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Yes - But Sky is right, I'd forgotten about that. The max that a 32 bit OS will utilize is about 3.25GB.

Antimsaash

Antimsaash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
is www.newegg.com good site to buy. i mean are they reliable in sending the merchandise??
just making sure..
thanks

just curious cuz' i'm gonna buy "Kingston 2GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Laptop Memory - Retail" for $19.99 which in best buy is 80 dollars i think...
so, its too good to be true...

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
I personally have never ordered anything from Newegg (I have another distributor for my business) but I know some friends who have, and I've heard some very good things about Newegg.

As far as the pricing goes - Believe it. I paid $52 for a USB modem last night in Best Buy that I could have got (from my distributor) for about $20. The only thing was that I needed it for today and didn't have time to order it. Best Buy certainly isn't. :)

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

is www.newegg.com good site to buy. i mean are they reliable in sending the merchandise??
just making sure..
thanks

just curious cuz' i'm gonna buy "Kingston 2GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Laptop Memory - Retail" for $19.99 which in best buy is 80 dollars i think...
so, its too good to be true...

Newegg is a great site to buy things from, shipping is fast customer service is great and many items have free shipping too.