Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Two interesting problems

• Please log in to reply

tumms

tumms

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My problems began when I got myself infected with some malware and had a virus scanner clean it. The malware infected a vital file that affected logging on, so when I did a reboot it would log on and log back off immediately. I found the solution to that on this site, I couldn't carry it out.

My system is a Dell Dimension XPS
4 gigs of installed ram
3.4 Ghz processor
Running Windows XP Pro

I got the recovery console up, and because the left side of the screen was cut off I couldn't see what drive I was in. I assumed it was in C:\ but seeing what was in the directory I realized it was on an external hard drive. I shut down and unplug the external and attempt to access it again, 'cept now it refuses to recognize my internal HD. I go to setup and its enabled and recognized.

How might one restore the functionality of this drive so that I can fix the first problem and get my system up running again?

Oh and hi everyone, this concludes my first of I hope many posts here!

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Hi there, Welcome to Geeks To Go!

Have you tried running a Repair Install of Windows?

The recovery console shouldn't have recognized the external drive unless there was a copy of Windows installed on it. Was/is there one there?

tumms

tumms

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes I tried that and as soon as I hit enter it says it cannot find a drive.

The external did not have a copy of windows on it. When I was on the recovery console, I couldn't switch to my C:\ drive. It would default go to the external. After I disconnected it, it won't give me a console at all.

Soo yeah I'm quite confused.

Edited by tumms, 16 December 2008 - 10:26 PM.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Are you sure that your internal hard drive is connected? I mean, have you actually opened up the case and looked?

tumms

tumms

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yeah, I checked. Everything seems fine. Its so odd that Setup will see the drive sittin in a slot yet I can't access it with the recovery console. Is it possible that the drive has failed/broken and its just terrific timing?