Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Web Cam

• Please log in to reply

Rickles

Rickles

• PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
I am using XP SP2 and I have just got a web cam.
I have installed it with the software that came with it and it works fine.
What other programs do I need so that I will be able to talk to my Sisters in the UK(I am in Australia).
I am not sure what they are using so I imagine that there may be a 'universal' program?
Regards

Advertisements

jksdelver

jksdelver

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Both of you could down load "Windows live messenger" then set up a Hotmail accounts that should do it If you send a message to each other it should ask you if you want to add them as a contact then you can chat or send a video call to each other

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
If you already have an email address you don't need to sign up for Hotmail - you can use your regular email address for an account (I know because that's what I've done.) Some of the common IM programs are WLM, Yahoo Messenger, AIM, and Skype. What I've found works best is doing video over WLM, and muting the microphone, and then doing the voice (with the same person) over Skype. My experience has been that WLM is lousy with audio (feedback, echoes, static, etc.) but does better with video then Skype does.

Rickles

Rickles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
Thanks for that, it seems easier than I thought. I have a hotmail address and all I need to do is reinstall messenger from the disc and I should be ok.

Regards and Thanks

rickles23