Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton Utilities SI32 Problem in XPpro2

• Please log in to reply

the chemist

the chemist

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I have Norton 2000 on my HP 2x3GB pc. I am running XPsp2 on that PC and it is not connected to the net.
SI32, the System Information tool starts OK and all the tabs are OK except for the Drive tab,
which, if it is showing the contents of the C drive, produces a message which says

'Norton Utilities System Information has encountered a
problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the
inconvenience.
If you were in the middle of doing something, the information you were working on might be lost.
For more information about this error, press here.'

There is a further page which gives more information but no clues as to what the problem is.
The only thing I've done lately is stop several services to ease the startup load, and I have tried
starting them all manually, which doesn't fix it.
I also reinstalled SP2 and Norton Utilities 2000 to no avail.
I would be grateful for any suggestions as to what might cause this.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
is it possible to connect to the internet? Live update should be run to make sure all the correct patches for the program are installed. Also, due to the age of the program, it may be running into some compatibility issues.

the chemist

the chemist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thanks for your help Starjax. Much obliged.

It isn't possible to get it on the net yet, but I'm trying to arrange a shared connection to find what Microsoft think is the problem.
It is old but that in itself shouldn't make it malfunction.
Apart from MP3's there is nothing new on it and it hasn't been connected to the net.
The bit I think is odd is that it does it on C: the root drive which is 80GB, but not on F: the removable 465GB drive.
I suspect somehow I've stopped a service that's needed.
I will let you know if I learn anything.

Ken

kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk