Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop Icons gone after startup

• Please log in to reply

veris

veris

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi all

Hubbys computer is doing weird things. After the pc starts up the icons and everything is gone from desktop. I saw other posts who had similar problem. From their posts and suggestions I was able to do CLT+ALT+DEL to bring up task mgr. and go to application. Then I did explorer. exe for new task. I ran Mcaffee to run for virus but it has not found any virus. Right now I am going on Trend Micro's online virus scan thing to see if it finds anything. If it doesn't find anything what is my next step to look for and what should I do? I saw other posters post the log via Hijack this. What is that and how do I post it here for you to look in to? I am not very pc literate just basic so any help would be great.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi veris...welcome to Geeks To Go... :)

have you tried system restore yet...go back a couple of weeks BEFORE the problem started...

To use System Restore to restore Windows XP to a previous state, follow these steps:

1. Log on to Windows as Administrator.
2. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore. System Restore starts.
3. On the Welcome to System Restore page, click Restore my computer to an earlier time (if it is not already selected), and then click Next.
4. On the Select a Restore Point page, go back a couple of weeks BEFORE the problem started. click a date in bold, and then click Next.

Note A System Restore message may appear that lists configuration changes that System Restore will make. Click OK.
5. On the Confirm Restore Point Selection page, click Next. System Restore restores the previous Windows XP configuration, and then restarts the computer.
6. Log on to the computer as Administrator. The System Restore Restoration Complete page is displayed.
7. Click OK.

If you successfully restored your computer to a previous state, and the computer is performing as it should be, you are finished.

Edited by happyrock, 17 December 2008 - 10:11 AM.

zerotac

zerotac

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Try see can you find our icon.cache file?

Edited by zerotac, 17 December 2008 - 09:55 AM.

veris

veris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
My start button isn't there. Nothing on taskbar is there. The Trend micro found some stuff that it was able to delete some of it but it couldn't delete TROJ_VUNDO.BBV. It also couldn't fix about 9 different vulnerabilities Problems in Microsoft Office could allow remote code executions. They are for office, excel and word. There were some spyware and adware which it did fix from the look of it.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Please go to the malware forum Start HERE....

That will help you clean up 80 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then start a new topic in the MALWARE FORUM forum here...

if after you get a all clean from the malware pros and your still having issues post back here and we can get you fixed up...

zerotac

zerotac

• Pip
  • 4 posts
o u got hit by vundo thats such an annoying virus lol i just got ride of 1 TR/vundo.gen about 5 hours ago

veris

veris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
how did you get rid of it?

veris

veris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
hubby ended up copying his important files on external drive and now he is just reformatting whole PC. It hasn't been done since he had win 95. He had just installed other OS on top of it.

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
Just wait 'til a helper tried to fix your computer... they will recommend what's the best option... I doubt they won't be able to fix a simple Vundo.... There are some of the best Malware Experts here...

Good Luck and Be Patient..

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
a nice fresh copy of xp is good sometimes.... :)