Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WIN XP Malware problem and now no internet access

• Please log in to reply

csal

csal

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

My PC suffered a virus (prunnet.exe and possibly others) a few days ago, so I came to this website and followed the self-help advice as follows :-

1) Run ATF Cleaner
2) Run ERUNT to save system restore state
3) Run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
4) Perform Windows Update
5) Installed and ran antispyware program Anti-Vir

After step 3 everytihng seemed to be going well, the internet connection seemed to be behaving itself and seemed faster.

However, and I'm not totally clear on the events, but it seemed that after running Anti-Vir that my internet connection stopped working.

My internet connection is provided via a NetGear wireless router/modem and I am using a wireless adapter on my XP PC to communicate with it.

I also tried using an ethernet link to the router but still no joy when trying to run Explorer, but I found that I was able to ping the router from a command prompt but was still not able to login to the routers home page via Explorer.

The only other information I have is that when I look at my Network Connections, it seems that something is missing form the MSN connection (see attached word file pasted image of this).

I also have a HijackThis log taken yesterday if you want me to paste that in.

If you can offer any assistance that would be very much appreciated.

Regards,
Csal

Attached Files

Advertisements

zerotac

zerotac

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hm when i had malware i done what u done and bam it gone maybe if you
Try CCLeaner To Dl your Temp folder Where Alot of "malware"rograms hide

www.ccleaner.com

Sry i uverlooked didnt see u used ATF cleaner

Edited by zerotac, 17 December 2008 - 09:53 AM.