Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP - Unmountable Boot Volume

• Please log in to reply

vogelgeist

vogelgeist

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Our laptop seems to have went a little crazy today. Adobe Reader froze the laptop up, so we cold-booted it. Now, it gives us a nice little blue screen proclaiming "Unmountable Boot Volume". Guides say to insert the Windows XP CD. We would, however due to a house fire, we no longer have that CD. (Bummer, eh?)

It just tried to debug itself, but it just blue-screened with the same message; "Unmountable Boot Volume".

Now what? Is there a work-around for fixing it, aside from inserting the XP CD?

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to GTG:

What is the make and model of your system?

BTW, you WILL need the cd to fix the problem.

Murray

vogelgeist

vogelgeist

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for your prompt reply, Murray. :)

It says Dell Latitude D610. It's running XP SP2 if I'm correct. It's refurbished, also.

Aww darn, I will? Eh well, we were planning on getting one anyway, gotta downgrade the desktop (which is what I'm on now) from Vista back down to XP.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Well, for the Dell, I would contact them for the replacement.

As for downgrading the computer you are on..

1: Make sure you don't void the warranty by doing that..

2: Make sure there are XP drivers available for everything BEFORE you attempt it, and

3: If you buy an XP cd for this downgrade, it can ONLY be used on that system from then on unless you purchase the real mccoy (original XP retail cd). Even then, you can only have it installed on one system at any given time.

Murray