Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hardware Problem

• Please log in to reply

Jimmy058910

Jimmy058910

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi,

I don't think I need to explain any specs or anything other than my situation. I just really need to know which hardware component is causing my problem, because I really could justify it being a couple.

When I try to startup my computer, it powers up fine but the screen is black and nothing happens, just idles after the first few seconds.

After trying countless times, my windows will actually start up fine, although (very small percentage of the time) it will freeze as it's going through the Toshiba startup screen.

As it gets past that, windows will start up 100% fine, I have no viruses or malware or anything like that so it's runs absolutely beautiful when it actually gets there. But somewhere after 1 hour - 6 hours usually after windows is running it will just freeze. The screen will freeze and nothing will happen. After a forced shutdown and a quick try to restart the computer, it will go back to me having to try 30+ times to restart the computer.

My computer screen is fine, I don't have reason to believe it's my RAM.

I am thinking;
1) It could be the motherboard, overused and not working properly, maybe not giving the computer enough juice causing the bad startups and freeze while running.
2) It could be the processor that is just not running properly
3) I REALLY think it is the Hard Drive, just really isn't acting like it is anything else. Everything sounds/looks/runs the same in the past, but I am wondering if the Hard Drive is the cause of all the problems.

I need to ask this question so that I can replace the part and move on and not have to spend $800 on a brand new acer that looks incredible at newegg lol

So please let me know what component you think it is, why, and how sure you are.

Thanks for all the help in advance!

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts
The problem could be a few different issues.

it powers up fine but the screen is black and nothing happens

I need to know if you are getting any bios information? Is there anything at all on the screen? At initial bootup, and before the OS loading you should see black screen and white bootup info.

Can you get into safe mode? Tap f8 as it starts up. There should be a configuration screen. In here you can try "last known good configuration" or "safe mode"

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
if it goes through all the motions of booting but you get no video and you are 100% sure it isn't your monitor then I'd look at your video card/video drivers....

Jimmy058910

Jimmy058910

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

I need to know if you are getting any bios information? Is there anything at all on the screen? At initial bootup, and before the OS loading you should see black screen and white bootup info.

No, zero things on the screen. This happens about 95% of the time, the other 5% of the time it boots up normal and I can hit F8 and everything. The last thing I did (when it started up correctly) was re-installed windows just to see if it helps, but when it was supposed to restart after the intitial format and basic installations in still went back to the not booting up correctly. Think this eliminates the hard drive being the problem though

if it goes through all the motions of booting but you get no video and you are 100% sure it isn't your monitor then I'd look at your video card/video drivers....

This very well might be the problem, the only thing that is a bummer about it is this is on a laptop and it's an Intel Chipset video thing, pretty sure it's right on the motherboard. If that is the case... what do I do?

Or does anyone else have any idea as to what is causing this?

lurky

lurky

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
I'd put money on hard drive or just OS corruption of some sort. Download DFT from hitachi and burn the image to a disk. Boot to it to run a stress test on the drive. Should tell you if it's good or not.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
hard drive is possible and you may want to run the disk tester software but if windows was reinstalled that kind of eliminates simple software corruption.... and since it is a laptop and has onboard then you may want to test the ram as some of that is being shared with the video...... if you can get into the bios and change the settings you might want to set the ram to the lowest amount and run a tester ( memtest86 or memtest86+ are good and you can find them with google. )

Jimmy058910

Jimmy058910

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok here's the latest.

I ran the DFT but I wasn't exactly sure what I was supposed to do with it, or read from. All seemed to go well though, don't think there was an error or anything.

I then ran the memtest86+ and it froze at I think it was 71% (random number something). It was weird because the test froze, but the screen was still operating because on the top, there is a "+" sign next to memtest86 and it was still blinking the same as usual. I think this tells us something though, that it's not the graphics part, but I think it narrows it down to the memory. I'll run the DFT again to test the HD to make sure it's not that.

Anyone have any other ideas, and does anyone know if the way it is acting narrow it down the memory?

Thanks for all the help!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts
Is this a laptop?
How many ram sticks do you have?
If more that 1, try running memtest with 1 stick at a time.

Jimmy058910

Jimmy058910

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi again,

It is a laptop, Toshiba A105-S4114. I can't find specs on it anywhere...

But yes, there is two sticks of ram. I tried starting the computer up without the hard drive, no luck. I tried with only one stick of a ram at a time, each one in both slots, no luck.

Either they are both bad or that is not the problem.

I do have another Toshiba (my parents) and I want to test a ram stick from there, but I am unsure if that ram is supported with my Toshiba's motherboard, so I've been trying to look for specs everywhere and I am having no luck...

Jimmy058910

Jimmy058910

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok, so I tried the RAM from my other laptop and I had no luck.

So so far, the RAM and the Hard Drives are NOT the problem, and those were the two at the top of my list.

My monitor seems to be fine as well...

And lately, the 5% of the time I get it to startup correctly, it runs fine until I put to much stress on it, then it tends to freeze (at least it seems). Could it be the processor?

So frustrating, I just need to deter the problem. But according to what I've seen so far I'm going to be better off just buying that new Acer that was very powerful/cost friendly lol

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts

If more that 1, try running memtest with 1 stick at a time

Jimmy058910

Jimmy058910

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
It really won't boot up the memtest, I just get that black screen like usualy (with all the things sounding like they are running properly), and since I tried the other ram from the working laptop, shouldn't that mean these RAM sticks are ok?

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
sure sounds like either the motherboard or the power supply is going to be your culprit..... if you can't get it to boot the memtest even with the hard drive removed ther isn't much else it could be in a laptop....