Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! Cannot Boot Windows!

• Please log in to reply

starfire14

starfire14

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

I am having major issues with starting up my laptop. It is a Dell Inspiron 6000 running Windows XP and just recently had an automatic windows update (other than that, nothing has been downloaded recently).

When I try starting up the computer, it gives me a blue screen of death when the windows logon page is supposed to load. The BSOD gives me the error code STOP: C000021a, and that a "fatal error has occured". It also gives this code: 0xC000012f.

Here's everything that I have tried so far, but with no success:
- Tried booting in safe mode
- Tried booting from the last known good configuration
- Tried chkdsk /r from the recovery console. It said it fixed one or more errors and then restarted, but eventually gave me the same BSOD.
- Tried Repair installation from Windows XP CD.

After trying out all of the above, the BSOD message is the same, except for one change in the error code. It now gives me this:
STOP: C000021a, and that a "fatal error has occured". It also gives this code: 0xC0000135.

Any suggestions on how I can resolve this problem??? I'm hoping it's possible to resolve the issue without a reformat :)

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Bonzai82

Bonzai82

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
For a start try to go into safe mode by pressing F8 before windows boot. You could also try test your memory ram with (memtest86) download bootable version and burn it on cd and let it run for at least 3-4 hrs and try to use (HDD Regenerator) also a bootable version it repairs bad sectors on your hard drive.BSOD usually appears because of bad memory or bad sectors.