Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ran a registery cleaner caused a lot of issues

• Please log in to reply

obsidianx

obsidianx

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I ran a registery cleaner and after the reboot my desktop icons and toolbar on the bottom were not visible. The only things visible were the mouse icon and the wallpaper. It also made it so the computer cannot recognize the audio driver and mixer. I tried to reinstall but doesn't seem to work. I tried to use the restore point I did before using the registery cleaner but it did not fix the issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Who on earth did advice you to run registry cleaner?
Did the cleaner provide any backup?
What is the name of the program?

obsidianx

obsidianx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
My computer has been running slow as of late so I tried to get rid of unecessary registries because I thought it would speed it up. Uniblue RegistryBooster is what I used and yes it did a backup beforehand. I tried to restore after the backup but it did not fix the problem.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

I thought it would speed it up

It'll never happen by messing with registry. What most likely WILL hapen, is what you're at now - messed up computer.

Go Start>Run, type in:
sfc /scannow
Click OK.
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) will find any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc won't find any errors in Windows XP, it'll simply quit, without any message.

obsidianx

obsidianx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I will check when I get home tonight. I fixed the problem with the desktop icons and toolbar not being visible the only problem I am running to at the moment is it can't detect any audio devices. After trying to install the sound driver it still didn't recognize it. I will let you know how running the sfc goes.

obsidianx

obsidianx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I tore up some of my boxes I never unpacked but can't seem to find my windows xp cd. Can I still run sfc without my xp cd? I wasn't sure if I run it without it if more problems will occur.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You can run it, no harm done. At least, we'll see, if it'll find any errors.
However, if it will, it'll ask you for Windows CD in order to fix the error.
Borrowed CD will do. It must have same XP version, though.

obsidianx

obsidianx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
The scan asked for the cd quite a few times but this computer is an older dell with windows xp media center edition. I don't know anyone with this version of windows. Windows was installed on the computer but did not include the cd from what I have seen so far. Any other ideas that might work?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

The scan asked for the cd quite a few times

That must be a problem, and Media Edition version really suck, when it comes up to repair options.
When you want to perform sfc, or Windows repair installation, you must use CD, which has exactly same Windows version on it, and it has to have same Service Pack as it's installed on your computer.
The problem with Media Edition CD (even, if you got hold of it) is, that it doesn't allow to slipstream any service packs. Why? I don't know. Ask M$.
Unless someone else will come up with some other option, in my opinion, you're facing backing up your data, and reinstall, using Dell's Recovery Partition.

obsidianx

obsidianx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Do you think I can get around using the cd with my i386 folder or with my hidden dllcache file? Also forgot to add earlier have Windows Media Center 2002 SP3 but when running sfc it asked for windows xp pro cd, wasn't sure if you had any ideas on that.

Advertisements

obsidianx

obsidianx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I also wanted to ask if I hit the F8 button during start up and choose the last good configuration option, do you think that may fix it as well? I am asking because I don't want to inadvertently cause any more damage. Thanks.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

Do you think I can get around using the cd with my i386 folder or with my hidden dllcache file?

No.

have Windows Media Center 2002 SP3 but when running sfc it asked for windows xp pro cd

It's normal, because it's formally XP Pro, but Media Center version.

if I hit the F8 button during start up and choose the last good configuration option, do you think that may fix it as well?

It's worth a try.
If anything else fails, your computer may have Recovery Partition, which will restore the computer to its original state, without a need for any CD. However, you'll have to back up all your data, because all will be lost.
What brand, and model of computer is it?

obsidianx

obsidianx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
It is a Dell Dimension E510.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Just in case, this is all you need to know about using Dell's recovery partition: http://www.goodells....store/fixes.htm

obsidianx

obsidianx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I came across two websites that describe what is going on with my sound. It states that the audio mixer is missing. Without completely reinstalling everything on the computer if these could give you any ideas before I do the reinstall as a last resort. The sites are:

http://forums.micros.......=0&pageid=6

http://www.pchell.co...available.shtml

If we can't come up with anything else will do the reinstall but just wanted to do that as a last resort.