Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Ran a registery cleaner caused a lot of issues

• Please log in to reply

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Since you ran sfc and it asks for the CD means there are corrupt system files. This should be fixed. It could be the problem.

Attempting to fix just sound, may not fix the issues. You corrupted the registry when you used the registry cleaner.

Go to stsrt/ run and type in devmgmt.msc. Hit the enter key. This will take you to device management.
Do you see any ? or ! marks?

Advertisements

obsidianx

obsidianx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Nope no ? or !, although there is no mixer displayed. I get the same message and display as listed on the websites I gave on my last post. Yeah, I know the registry will need to be fixed. I'm just trying to get it so I can have sound in the meantime while I try to locate the disc with my version and service pack of windows on it. From what I gather it is not a very common version to have.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Located HERE should be all the drivers for your computer.

Also, there is a service tag on the computer. usually side or back for desktop, or bottom for laptop. If you go to the Dell website and enter the tag, the site will display exactly what should be on your computer.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Disregard...I posted before I saw other replies...sorry.

Edited by Broni, 26 December 2008 - 12:37 PM.

obsidianx

obsidianx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Yep I got the drivers and installed them but it did not include the mixer driver. So it can not recognize my sound device still. Any ideas where I may find the mixer driver?

obsidianx

obsidianx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I have found two errors that are coming up that may be causing the problem:

1. Iexplorer.exe error
2. CTXfiHlp MFC Application error is popping up (I believe this error is what is affecting my sound)

Thought this info might help in coming up with some ideas. Thanks.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
HERE is some info with a couple links

obsidianx

obsidianx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I have tried doing what the links say without any luck. I have pasted a copy of hijackthis log hoping you may notice something out of the ordinary there that may help. I have ran Norton 360 and Malwarebytes and nothing was found. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by wannabe1, 20 January 2009 - 03:04 PM.
removed log

obsidianx

obsidianx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I keep seeing different forums with posts about how to fix both the iexplorer.exe error and the ctxfihlp mfc application error. The funny thing is all the forums have had links to Uniblue RegistryBooster and stated that will fix the problem when RegistryBooster is what started my problem.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're running TWO antiviruses, and TWO firewalls: Norton, and Trend, which is your first problem.

Advertisements

obsidianx

obsidianx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I ran the uninstall for Trend before I put Norton in, I thought I got all the remnants of Trend. Any suggestion how to remove it would be greatly appreciated, to be honest I have no idea how to. Thanks.

Edited by obsidianx, 01 January 2009 - 09:57 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Norton is bad news, and Trend is still present there.

obsidianx

obsidianx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Trend was a trial version and so was Norton 360, I got Norton Internet Security 2009 in the mail today just haven't installed it yet. I got Norton Internet Security 2009 because it got really good reviews on the forums. Did I get the wrong one?

Edited by obsidianx, 01 January 2009 - 10:08 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
IMHO (not only), Norton is a horrible security program. I'm aware, that 2009 version got totally rebuilt compare to previous versions, but I'd rather not use internet, than have Norton installed.
I don't have an authority to work on your HJT log, so you better go to malware forum, so they can clean the log up.

obsidianx

obsidianx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
LOL I almost went with Trend Micro instead but they gave it a point or two better on the review with Norton. I guess I should have went with my first choice, oh well, I will post on the Malware forum so I can get the log cleaned up. I appreciate your help. I wish I could have talked to you before I bought it though, guess that's my luck though. Thanks again.