Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ran a registery cleaner caused a lot of issues

• Please log in to reply

obsidianx

obsidianx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
The Creative SB X-FI is the sound card. I reinstalled all the audio drivers from the dell website for my Dell Dimension E510.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I can see, this is dedicated (not on-board) sound card. Did it come with the computer, or you installed it yourself?

obsidianx

obsidianx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
It came with the computer, I haven't opened it up.

Edited by obsidianx, 08 January 2009 - 08:21 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Since you reinstalled drivers, and nothing, the card may be shot.
If you have some spare time, you may try it in another computer. That would make sure 100%

obsidianx

obsidianx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I don't have another computer to try it on now and I lost the sound after I ran the registry cleaner. I thought if it was the sound card it would just stop but since happened after running the cleaner I thought it might be a software issue. Does that sound plausible?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
It does, however coincidence happens.
Did you uninstall card before installing fresh driver?

obsidianx

obsidianx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Very true, that would be my luck. :)
No, I did not uninstall the card before installing the drivers.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Then, try again. .
Have new driver ready.
Uninstall card driver, then uninstall card itself.
Restart computer. Windows will find new hardware, and it'll either ask you for a new driver, or it'll install generic driver, and after that you can install yours.

obsidianx

obsidianx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
K will give it a try.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Let me know.

Advertisements

obsidianx

obsidianx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I uninstalled the drivers and sound card and then reinstalled the sound card. It recognized there was something there and installed the drivers for it. Then I updated the driver with the one I had already downloaded. Even after doing this, it still does not recognize there is any audio device.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Last thing, you can try is to open the computer case, and re-seat the card, or/and move it to another PCI slot.
If that doesn't work, I'm afraid, the card is dead.

obsidianx

obsidianx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
The card seems to work in friends computer. I believe the missing dll file from windows is somehow causing the problems. Plus I wasn't sure if the conflicts with the drivers may be causing the problems. Do you know how to remove the extra Microsoft Kernel synthesizer drivers? I keep uninstalling them and the computer keeps putting them back in. But when I look at the properties it says:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because there is a duplicate device already running in the system. (Code 42)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Try to read here, starting with post #19: http://forums.driver...p...6435&page=2

obsidianx

obsidianx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I tried using the directx diagnostic tool and all the sound ports are working except the Microsoft synthesizer. It gave the following error:

DirectMusic test results: Failure at step 6 (Activating the IDirectMusicPort): HRESULT = 0x8878000a (The request failed because DirectSound resources, such as the priority level, were already in use by another caller.)

I attached the tool results to this post. What do you think should be the next step?

Attached Files