Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP "sees" MS Mobile Mouse but there's no action

• Please log in to reply

XQQQME

XQQQME

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm not exactly a newbie...but I sure am with this new hardware, so, close enough!

Just yesterday I received my MSI Wind U100420US (this version does not have Bluetooth) netbook with Windows XP SP3...and today I went out and purchased a MS Wireless Mobile Mouse 3000 for it. As soon as the receiver went into the USB port, XP announced that it had found the new hardware. But the mouse won't work (yes, I installed the battery)...the cursor won't move and clicks do not register.

According to the info in Control Panel>Mouse (including troubleshooting), XP says the device is there and working properly. Only, it ain't. I tried moving the receiver to the other USB ports and got the same results. The MS site took me through a troubleshooter that said when there's no response like this, I need to do a setpoint and reset to an earlier status of XP. I did that, but I don't see any change.

Why/How could everything look so "positive" and produce no sign of a
functioning mouse?

Advertisements

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
I'm only asking this because I just got a new mouse and had a similar problem because the battery diagram was wrong.

Does the light on the bottom of the mouse come on?
If so check to see if there is a "sync" button on the mouse and the receiver and push them to let the mouse sync up with the receiver.
If not, your batteries are either dead or installed incorrectly.

Edited by 98springer, 17 December 2008 - 09:45 PM.

XQQQME

XQQQME

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
When I installed the battery, I was very careful to insert it so that the positive terminal would sit where the "+" showed. The battery immediately made the red light underneath it glow. There is no button of any type on the receiver...and the only button on the underside of the mouse is where the receiver is stored. Mating the receiver into a molded receptacle on the bottom of the mouse is how you turn it off (a "peg" on the receiver matches up with the button in the mouse's cavity).

I'm going to try another battery and see what happens.

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Hmmm...Is there a section in Control Panel to select Touchpad or Mouse or Both?

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go by the way.

XQQQME

XQQQME

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the welcome. So, I tried the new battery today....no dice. Your thought about some sort of toggle between keyboard and mouse sounded plausible. I checked for a software switch within the Control Panel and couldn't find anything ....and I pretty much knew that I'd seen no hardware switch nor was there a Fn key toggle. But! I knew there was an Fn-F3 toggle that would disable the touchpad so, following your logic, I disabled the touchpad thinking that might enable the mouse. No go there, either.

So, what I finally decided to do was fool around with the peg-and-button combo on the receiver and the mouse that push against each other to turn off the mouse when the receiver is placed in its storage well on the underside of the mouse. The first two pushes on either one did not change anything. But, suddenly (and I do not know exactly what I did), after additional pushes on these buttons, the pointer on the screen jumped to life!

So, now I have an active mouse....but, note, there was absolutely no mention of this in the sparse documentation that came with the MS Mobile Mouse 3000. The product is presented there as a literal plug-and-play proposition.

Thanks for your help in guiding my thinking to a solution!

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Whew! Good job!