Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fan is only thing running

• Please log in to reply

firemedic1620

firemedic1620

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hello,

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop that has been having some problams. My AC adaptor connector was messed up so I bought a new one. I took everything out including the motherboard so that I could get this replaced. I also fixed some cometic things like the plastic around the LCD and replaced the lid. Now, I put everything back together carefully going through every step to make sure I have everything plugged in snug and every screw tight. Now my computer will turn on with the fan going and that is it. I don't hear the HD try booting and the monitor remains dark. The power light will stay on and that is it. Is there something that I am supposed to do after I had everything out and unplugged to get it to boot up. I am running Vista.

Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Boy that sounds familiar! Double check your re-assembly. Does the HDD light flash? Is there a beep?
I used to assemble just enough to power on the motherboard and check for lights and beeps and get that to work and then add parts and check again. Remember to disconnect the battery as well as the AC power prior to adding or removing hardware.

firemedic1620

firemedic1620

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Thank you for reply. I will try that. You say to umplug, take it all apart, plug in the motherboard, if it works then power one by one to make sure. If I have two sicks of memory should I ony hook up one first. They boh came with the computer. Thanks again.l

firemedic1620

firemedic1620

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Ok, I tried what you said and still no go. One thing I have noticed is a rectangular magnet that came off the LCD. I don't know were that goes. I do hear the HD start but it don't go full fledged. I have power to the fan, cd rom, and HD. Still no Monitor ao boot up though

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Do you have an external monitor that you can connect to it? Also double check the connections on the flat display cable. Those things can be tricky. There may also be a connection for an inverter board. Alot of times that board is under the front bezel and you were in that area recently. If that is disconnected it will usually make the display VERY dark so that it looks like there is no video.

firemedic1620

firemedic1620

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I cnnected an exernal monitor to my laptop without success. I was wondering if my BIOS battery might be dead would that cause this or if this could be a RAM problem. If so how do I resolve the RAM problem. I have two sticks of RAM, one in DD-A and one in DD-B.