Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Losing C disk space

• Please log in to reply

CreeSweetSage

CreeSweetSage

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I am about ready to pull my hair out. I have a compaq HP vista. I have been watching the available space on my 'C' drive slowly disappear in the past couple of days. I noticed that we went from 108 available to 100. I began to delete and remove any programs/games we did not use. I removed all pictures from my pac and moved them to disks.
I deleted songs. And nothing, infact, we are still losing space. As of right now I have 96.5. I have a disk cleanup. i am defraging right now. Is it possible to remove the the hibration file as i do not use that feature? That would give me some more free space. Also, do bookmarks( I have thousands) eat up space?
Can someone help me? There does not seem to be anything else wrong with my pc as it runs normally.
Thanks so much!! Cree

an update, i deleted many more songs, all items that are not needed and now my available space is down to 92.6. So, I keep losing space by the day. Someone suggested that maybe i have a trojan that got past my mcafee. Computer still acts normal with no slow down. I am current on my mcafee updates, as well as microsoft updates. I have noticed on my HP that it recommends that i make a set of backup cds...can anyone tell me how many disks this would take?

Edited by CreeSweetSage, 19 December 2008 - 12:00 AM.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Vista has a fearue called shadow copy that creates a copy of every file you create. This takes up disc space.
You can read this to learn how to turn off shadow copy.
Leaving system restore turned off is not a good idea. If you turn it off, and then turn it back on, the old files will be deleted and you can start fresh.
That is what I would recommend, rather then just turning off system restore.

Edited by hfcg, 18 December 2008 - 03:53 PM.

skyhintack

skyhintack

• PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
It depends how large your hard drive is and what amount of that you're currently using. I did this a couple years ago and it took 8 CD's I think for mine. (Old PC)

Edited by skyhintack, 23 December 2008 - 03:31 PM.

justingong2008

justingong2008

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
my idea on this is the vista backup option consuming ur free disk space. That's why it keep increasing by ur activities not by the actual size of files. It creates different restore points. If you have a valid copy vista, I think it will be ok for u to turn that off in order to get the space back. And in addition, if u have a external hard drive, u can make a system backup on that hard drive instead of ur laptop.

good luck :)