Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

freezing at post

• Please log in to reply

funkyman63

funkyman63

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello everyone hope someone can take me through this, I have an old computer with only 20gb of hard drive on it has been running fine as i keep it relatively maintained i tend to use it when my daughters are on the new one, its used for storing pics and emailing but I thought it would be a good idea to add a second hard drive (40gb) for extra space. I thoroughly checked out the slave jumper pin position and set accordingly. I then turned off my computer and attatched the new drive. The new drive was given to me and had windows xp installed on it. my original drive also had xp on it. when i turned the computer back on all the correct lights came on apart from my monitor which flickered green then remained orange in standby mode. I restarted the computer a number of times with the same result. Then I got the bios start screen and it ran to post and said that there was a problem with the second drive and froze. I restarted and went to the bios and tried to auto detect the second drive and it found nothing. I then disconnected my second drive and rebooted now my computer runs to post, it runs through checking nvram each time then it it recognises my cd (primary master: R403 samsung CD-R/RW SW 240B) and dvd rom (primary slave: 1.04 LG DVD-ROM DRD-8120B) the Sec Master comes up as ---- 05.04E05 WDC WD200BB-60CVB0 Ultra DMA Mode-2 S.M.A.R.T. Capable & status OK. Then it just freezes

My motherboard is a megatrends 71XE4
Processor AMD-Duron 1200 Mhz

Please can someonhe help us mere mortals understand what the [bleep] is going on lol

Advertisements

Leurgy

Leurgy

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
funkyman63 came into the live chat and we're trying to help him there.