Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

winscenter & windows spyguard

• Please log in to reply

Figetje

Figetje

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi
Have read your bulletin boards and tried to implement your ABC ("you must read this before posting") article. The problem is that this spyware has such a grip on my system that I cannot access the sites to download Malwarebytes, windows xp updates, avg updates (it even blocks Geeks to go) directly onto my laptop (am using a different PC to post this message). I was able to download atf-cleaner and Hijack this so have a notepad log saved to a memory key. Erunt didn't run completely and the Spybot, Adaware, Malwarebytes programmes all showed the same error message "a device attached to the system is not functioning". I have gone to task manager to stop the exe's (winscenter.exe spyguard.exe) but have to do that every 2 minutes sometimes.
I tried downloading the anti spyware programs onto a memory stick and installing them that way but couldn't get the necessary updates. Firefox not as blocked as IE, but still shows blank pages for the sites mentioned above.
I would describe myself as quick on the uptake as far as IT is concerned, but no expert. Feel comfortable going into Registry directories and running command prompts if I know exactly what to do. Have tried to make as many back ups as possible but wonder if the spyware may not have affected them too?
If you've got this far, thanks for reading.
Figetje

Edited by Figetje, 18 December 2008 - 11:11 AM.

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

Figetje

Figetje

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thank you very much for your prompt response. Sorry if I posted in the wrong place - I'm a newbie :)