Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking to Upgrade Ram for a Lap top

• Please log in to reply

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
HI,

I am wanting to know how to find where the ram sticks are in my lap top. I was told when I had my computer repaired that I have 2 slots and I would like to add a total of 2 GB.

I'm sure the computer needs to be off and unplugged when I do this, of course, but is there anything special I should be aware of when doing this?

Does anyone have instructions for me?

How to find where they are, and

How to install

Thanks,

J.R.

Edited by JAR300, 18 December 2008 - 11:18 AM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

Welcome to GTG!

It would help tremendously if you told us what kind of laptop you have. Without that information, someone has to end up asking you... like I am! :)
Many manufactures have maintenance manuals on-line you can download or view. Google is your friend!

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Hello,

Welcome to GTG!

It would help tremendously if you told us what kind of laptop you have. Without that information, someone has to end up asking you... like I am! :)
Many manufactures have maintenance manuals on-line you can download or view. Google is your friend!

I have an Dell Lap top Inspiron 6000. 1.5 Processor 512 ram

Edited by JAR300, 19 December 2008 - 06:23 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,
Thanks for that! HERE is the Maintenance Manual for your laptop. Basically all you have to do is follow the instructions to locate and remove/install ram. Only a few words of CAUTION... be sure to ground yourself on some bare metal surface to discharge any static electricity in your body... and also, the tabs that hold the memory modules in the laptop are sometimes plastic... be careful not to bend them too much. Just bend them out of the way so the memory module can be removed/installed. It's really a simple process... just take your time and don't rush.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Thanks,

I am learning how to do some of this stuff, obviously! So, there is nothing to do when I turn my computer back on?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
No, there's nothing you have to do. When you turn your machine back on, Windows will boot and detect your ram... and then start using it!

Be sure to buy the correct type of memory. HERE is the type of ram (Crucial) you laptop will need. There are other manufactures as well... Kingston, Corsair, and others. You can visit these sites and lots of them have a place you can enter your laptop make and model, and the correct ram will be recommended.

Good luck!

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Thanks you have been a lot of help.

Last question, the web-site recommends DDR2 PC2 5300, but I have PC Wizard on my computer showing I have 200 Pin PC2 3200.

Are they the same?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Thanks you have been a lot of help.

Last question, the web-site recommends DDR2 PC2 5300, but I have PC Wizard on my computer showing I have 200 Pin PC2 3200.

Are they the same?

They are not the same and I'm not sure why Crucial would list it if it wasn't the correct type. I just looked up ram on Corsair, and they are specifying PC2-4200. Even Dell specifies two different ram types for your model (3200 and 5300). Can you tell me what the Asset tag number is on your laptop? This number will enable me to look on Dell to see what components were installed in your machine when Dell built it. If you do not want to post your Asset tag number, please use it and go to Dell to look up this information. You need to buy the correct ram.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Whoa Whoa Whoa! I'm a newbie, remember? LOL What is a asset tag number? There is a service tag number on the bottom of my laptop.
It is 84DXP71. Talk with you soon...

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok,
I looked up your system specs on Dell and the type of ram was not specified. Please call Dell and ask technical support which type you should use.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Thank you for your time. If you feel like helping some more go here. http://www.geekstogo...er-t221533.html

When I am using FireFox and I want to reply to an ad on Craigslist it wants to open my email (Hotmail) in Internet Explorer. Then I have to re sign in. Go to link for more details. It's annoying. Hope you can help.

Thanks again,