Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Media Player 10 even worse after following guide

• Please log in to reply

blaircroft

blaircroft

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Im posting this because ive posted elsewhere without response, then followed a forum guide and now it is much worse i need help sorting things out. I beleive my media library is corrupt, before my media player was crashing and displaying "Post Mortem Debugger". After following the guide and renaming my files i tried reinstalling and ended up installing WMP 11 then rolling back to 10 now i am unable to start the player at all. The internet doesnt provide much help other then posting on forums like this one.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,
I don't know if I can be of any help, but I'll try.

So where are you now in troubleshooting your problem. Does WMP play any files at all?

blaircroft

blaircroft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
The folders are still renamed and the WMP is still installed. When i reinstalled I couldn't get the player to run at all. Thank you for responding to the matter much appreciated.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
If you go directly to the installation folder C:\ProgramFiles\Windows Media Player, will the application launch from there? Does mplayer2 launch fine?

Are you getting any error windows popping up at all for WMP? How about the Event Viewer (Control panel>Admin tools> event viewer)... any indication about what might be happening?

blaircroft

blaircroft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
There is nothing in that folder anymore. Everything is in another file labeled "Old Media Player" and the app doesn't run from there at all. In the event viewer nothing seems to be associated with the MWP, but there are a few errors i dont understand.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Have you tried a System Restore to a point before you started having these problems? That might be a good thing to try at this point.

blaircroft

blaircroft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I not sure ive always had problems with my media player even after the system restore i think its because its an old OS Media Center 2002. But after i followed the guide on on forum its much worse now im unable to to play media player at all. I renamed all the folders like the guide said and tried to reinstall, i wonder if i did something wrong i had to install MWP11 then roll back instead of reinstalling. My OS isnt able to run WMP11 it never has so i just havnt used it.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Can you give me the link of the guide you followed?

blaircroft

blaircroft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
This is the one this from this forum http://www.geekstogo...er-t101331.html

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

Did you also try using the Autorun lister to see if removing Media player start items helped? If you haven't, and need help using this utility, please let me know. This utility can be dangerous if you start unchecking things you shouldn't, so if you use it on your own, please proceed with caution.

After using Autoruns to kill media player entries, please restart your computer and try to reinstall WMP10. I've found WMP11 buggy, so if you don't need WMP11, just use WMP10.

blaircroft

blaircroft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yea i think i am gonna need some help running the utility. In the everything tab i saw a few MWP entries but they all seem vital so im not sure were to go from there

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Yah, the Everything tab can look a little overwhelming. But, there's actually nothing difficult about running the application though. All you have to do is display the Everything screen, then click on Find icon (the binoculars icon). Type in Windows Media Player, then click Find next. The search will take you to the first line item... just uncheck it. Next, hit the F3 key on your keyboard, and the next line item will be displayed... uncheck it too. Keep hitting the F3 key, and uncheck all entries related to Windows Media player. There shouldn't be too many entries. My machine only has two entries. Just make sure you don't uncheck anything not related to WMP.

After you're done, just close the application, restart your machine, and then try to reinstall WMP 10. Hopefully, the WMP folders get recreated.

Edited by makai, 29 December 2008 - 11:03 PM.

blaircroft

blaircroft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok i unchecked about 10 or mor entries on the autorun application. When i reinstalled WMP10 it told me that my current version of windows isnt compatible with WMP10 so i reinstalled WMP11 and getting 3 errors. One of the errors i found may be because my library is corrupted but thats what i was doing when i followed the guide. Getting the following errors and WMP crashs DRM Migrate EXE, Dr Watsons Postmortem Debugger, Microsoft Media Player setup utility. Also i dont know if this matters but when i was looking through the add/remove programs i found a WMP Video 9 Profile Codec which i deleted.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I think you need to try to run a System Restore. I don't know how long you've had this problem, but something must have happened to really mess up WMP. Can you remember when all this started happening? If you can, run System restore to a date before you started seeing this problem.