Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Missing hal.dll/Repairing XP/Saving files

• Please log in to reply

newwayhome

newwayhome

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Windows XP on my laptop has an issue.

When I turn it on, it goes to a black screen that says:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll"

I followed the steps to repair XP. However, I do not get an option to repair Windows. I can choose between drives and partitions, and I can install Windows. If I hit Enter to install Windows, I get a message that says:

"The partition is either too full, damaged, not formatted, or formatted with an incompatible file system. To continue installing Windows, Setup must format this partition. CAUTION: Formatting will delete any files on the partition."

So I have two questions:

1. Is there way to repair/install XP without losing my files, specifically Word documents and pictures?

2. Is there a way to move my files to a flash drive/external harddrive/another computer if I can't repair XP?

Please help!

Thanks!

Advertisements

yevgenievich

yevgenievich

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
when you boot with the disk press R to go to recovery console. Once there press 1 to log in to windows installation and type in admin password. then type in chkdsk /r . Let it run and then try doing repair install again. Sounds like you might have a bad hard drive. I would definitely recommend on taking the hard drive out and hooking it up to a different computer. Then when it's hooked up as a slave you can access it and pull the data you need for backup.

Edited by yevgenievich, 20 December 2008 - 12:10 AM.