Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless = Internet, Wired = no internet

• Please log in to reply

salguod

salguod

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
I have another odd problem with this Vista laptop (see this long thread about my first one). When connected to my wireless, it accesses the internet just fine. When plugged into the router with the wireless switch off, no internet. I am able to browse my shared drives, however, and the other PCs can get to the web (both XP, one wired, one wireless) just fine.

Pulling the ethernet cable and flipping the wireless back on and everything works fine. I tried ipconfig /release & ipconfig /renew and I also tried turning the router on and off. Neither helped.

This PC connects wirelessly so it's not the end of the world. I was trying to diagnose an issue I'm having with the Adobe Photoshop Elements Organizer locking up trying to access the catalogue on a network drive and came accross this.

Any idea why it can't get the web when plugged in?

It's an HP dv6605us laptop with Vista Home Premium SP1 & 2GB of RAM and an Athlon 64 X2 processor.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
Have you looked in device manager to see if your NIC is working?
Open the control panel.
Select device manager.
Look for any yellow exlamation points or question marks.
You may have to install the driver for the NIC.

salguod

salguod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
No, I haven't explicitly, but I am able to browse the local network and open a shared drive from another PC, so it must be working. It does recognize that I've plugged it in or unplugged it as well.