Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Resets (not OS specific)

• Please log in to reply

IRay

IRay

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
This may sound like a weird issue, its in Hardware because I don't believe its OS specific, read on:

First off, its an older system, specs can be found here, Compaq Presario 5310US Specs. Only real changes have been added PCI card with sata adapter for back up hard drive, additional 128mb stick of RAM (so 384mb including the original), and replaced the modem PCI card for a Nvidia FX5500. Don't have the money to upgrade at the moment, and need this computer for school, the random restarting is making that difficult...

As of right now, I have 0 malware/adware on the computer after following majorgeeks.com read and run guidelines which included running Spybot Search & Destroy, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and SUPERanti-spyware. I have also gone into safe mode and unchecked the "restart automatically" box in the My Computer>Properties>Advanced>Start up and Recovery. I have never gotten a BSOD except for during running combofix following the MG guide.

The restarting isn't operating system specific either since I have Ubuntu installed as well, and it still resets in that OS, again without warning. I have had this restarting problem for a good year now, and there is minimal dust in the case, having blown it out on multiple occasions with canned air, hence why I don't believe its a heat problem. the other thing that leads me to believe its not heat related is that it happens 100% of the time when I load Knights of the Old Republic and I'm first choosing my class on a new game, despite how long the computer has been on (meaning <30 sec after being off 6 hours). I have also run memtest86 and it comes back with 0 errors on the 2 sticks, ran each separate.

Thank you

Edited by IRay, 19 December 2008 - 12:05 AM.

Advertisements

IRay

IRay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
since no response, I have concluded it must be indeed the power supply, going out or underpowered...

can you at least recommend a power supply? I have eyed a handful:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817371013 (Antec 350w)

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817182021 (Rosewill 400w)

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817148038 (Apevia 500w)

or slightly more upfront, but again in the running for same price after shipping and rebates:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817703014 (PC Power & Cooling 410w)

the only thing I didn't understand was the PC p&c power supply says DELL specific, but if it has all the connectors, what makes it DELL specific?

dave08

dave08

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I will agree with ya in that its not a software problem, Definately a hardware problem, Could be a dodgy psu, Another peice of hardware or it could be something on the MB failing, What EXACTLY happens the moment before your pc restarts ?? Also are all the fans working inside your pc ? and when did this problem first occur, was it after you installed some new hardware ?

IRay

IRay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
hey, a response! :)

it started happening after sticking a 128mb stick of memory in is where I think I traced it back to, but that memory module came back with 0 errors as per memtest86. I also tested if it was an overload from adding that module by removing anything that wasn't stock, ie video card, extra hard drive, all but the network PCI card, and disconnected the power to the floppy, and the 2 CD-R drives. the only thing connected was the mobo and the primary hard drive and it still did it.

there are only 3 fans in the system, the power source fan, graphics card fan, and the processor fan, and all 3 are working fine.

what happens is, all the sudden the computer turns black and restarts, no errors or anything. I have turned off the "restart automatically" in the properties>settings>startup and recovery area under my computer, and it still does it w/o an error. it typically happens when "a lot" is going on, or "under load", like if I try to scroll an internet page too quickly or load a game. but other times it just happens, like it happens in the middle of the night when nothing is going on, or during a movie read from my backup hard drive (doesn't seem to do it with movies on the primary hard drive).

dave08

dave08

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Could be that stick of ram then, Running memtest once and gettin the all clear doesnt neccessarilly mean that its right, Ideally you need to run it a few times constantly, have u tried it without that stick of ram ?

IRay

IRay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
yes, I tried it without the stick of ram and it still reseted on me.

dave08

dave08

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok, any chance of tryin it with just a hard drive that isn't the stock one, if it still does it after that then i think we can safely say it's either psu or Mobo, obviously psu is cheaper so that could be the first thing u could replace and if that doesnt sort it then mobo is the problem, Also although im not sure if this could cause this problem, when u used ur new graphics card did u turn off the integrated graphics ?

IRay

IRay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
it actually automatically did that to me, even it being a PCI card. after I installed it, I forgot to change the VGA plug from the IGP to the graphics card and was wondering why my screen was black (and button amber). the card is a recent addition, the reseting problem was prior to the card addition.

I have the backup drive, but I don't know if it will be able to load the computer off of it since its running off a PCI card (since I don't have any SATA ports on mobo).

I will be going home tomorrow and can try my brother's win2k hard drive, but how well will the system handle that?

dave08

dave08

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
i wouldnt worry about the system being able to handle win2k, were just testin to see if the resetting occurs with a different HDD, if it does then as i said before, its either psu or mobo prob.

IRay

IRay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Didn't work, heres what I did. I put my hard drive in my brother's computer (he has a p4 machine running windows 2k) and it blue screened after the OS selection screen (Grub) and when I choose Ubuntu to load, it shows in the background but monitor freezes and says "Input Signal Out of Range" and then computer locks up.

put my brother's hard drive in my computer and it says something about hardware changing, and then comes up with "disc read error, press Alt+Ctrl+Del to restart" and it did this repeatedly.

is there something special I need to do other than just swapping out the hard drives?

specs for his computer are as follows (can't find the HP site for it Compaq Evo D510 e-pc):

Pentium 4
2x1gb PC3200
Intel 82845 chipset

not much else to the machine, its about the size of a ream of paper, no expansion slots on the machine, its quite small...

He said it used to have XP on it like 5 years ago, when he got it from a friend, he downgraded to 2000. So, I know it can run XP.

dave08

dave08

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
i didnt expect it to boot into windows with the other hard drive, when it says disc read error just leave it and dont press ctrl-alt-del, leave the pc running and see if the resetting problem arises.

IRay

IRay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
so, do I need to just sit here while its on? I don't expect it to restart on me without much going on...

I'm going to buy a new power supply tonight from newegg and it should arrive by wednesday at the latest. hopefully that solves my problem, the resetting has bugged me long enough.

dave08

dave08

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Pretty much yeah, i know its a bit of a long and drawn out process but this is how ya troubleshoot these sort of problems, if your orderin ur new power supply tonight ya might not get it till after christmas, Anyways, hope it works for ya, keep us updated on how its goin, cheers.