Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

REALLY BIG problem

• Please log in to reply

chingwithbling

chingwithbling

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Okay, so yesterday I was doing a virus scan with symantec antivirus, and set it so that it would find sypware/adware. I had set it to delete all adware/spyware that it found, and as a secondary action just log it. Well today I went through and found all the ones that symantec antivirus couldn't delete, and went through in safe mode and deleted them. However, because I didn't really think about what I was doing before I deleted things, I am pretty sure that I screwed something up, because I did this to two computers, and now both cannot access the internet through my dsl connection. My guess is that this happened because some of the files were in the windows folder and system32 folder, and may have been vital to my internet connection. My dad knows somebody that can fix it, but I was wondering what might have caused this and is there any way I can fix it myself using some program to verify that I have all the files in my windows/system32 folders? Thanks in advance.

James

Advertisements

Alex_Harris

Alex_Harris

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
One thing you could try is to run the System File Checker in windows xp. If you go START -> RUN and type sfc /scannow . You might need the Windows XP cd handy if it needs to change files. In a nutshell the System File Checker checks important system files to make sure they are the original. Here is a link to a description about what it does from the Microsoft site.

chingwithbling

chingwithbling

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I forgot to add this, but when I start my computer, symantec client firewall has an error that says there is a failure in the symatec common client http proxy and that i need to restart. Also, there is a limited or no connectivity icon, and when I try to repair my connection it says that it cannot renew my ip address.