Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Planning upgrade to Vista Ultimate SP1

• Please log in to reply

TIP83

TIP83

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a new PC and Windows XP SP3 (32-Bit) as the O/S.
Now after a couple of weeks of use, I've noticed some things that irk me.

I'm considering upgrading to Vista because:
Only 3GB of my 4GB OCZ DDR3 memory is being used because the O/S is 32-Bit, so no Dual Channel.
My Intel Q9550 CPU would do a lot more with its 64-Bit architecture in a 64-Bit O/S.
I bought this computer with gaming and speed in mind, as well as not needing to upgrade for a few years.
So I chose the parts which are overclocker friendly. In the long run I will OC instead of buying new to improve performance when needed.
Now I'm am somewhat computer savy, Computer Networking a Technical Support Diploma completed in 2004.
I'm mostly trained in Windows 2000 Advances Server W/ Active Directory. while Vista is a whole new beast which I haven't tamed yet.
I've heard that there are plenty of complications, between Vista, Divers and some older software.
Please take a look at my hardware setup and let me know what I should possibly be concerned about.
Also feel free to criticize my setup.

My Computer:

Mobo - EVGA nVidia 790i Ultra SLI
CPU - Intel Q9550 Yorkfield (Currently OCed from 2.8 to 3.08GHz)
Memory - OCZ PC3 16000, 4GB (4x1GB) DDR3 2000mhz SLI-Ready
Vid Card - XFX GeForce 280 GTX 1GB GDDR3 PCI-E 2.0 x16

Also I'm interested in Overclocking so if anyone has a good walkthrough on the details of OCing please post up.
-Thanks

Advertisements

TIP83

TIP83

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
*Bump*

TIP83

TIP83

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip