Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cpu socket removal

• Please log in to reply

cpu problems

cpu problems

• Pip
  • 2 posts
okay this is the first time i tried a forum and looking at all the other questions im pretty sure it wont get answered but ill try anyways... okay well i have a emachine computer and its recently crashed as most of you know emachines suck so i had to switch to another computer and im just wondering if its possible to take the cpu out and put it into this other computer... i have tried already to just take it out but the sockets dont match up so i need to take the socket out which seems impossible so if someone could plz tell me if it is possible and possibly instructions...

Advertisements

rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Offhand I would say no, the socket is probably integrated into the MOBO.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Welcome to geeks to go.

Just adding to what has already been said.
As far as I know, and I have worked on quite a few computers, the CPU socket is part of the board and can not be removed.

okay this is the first time i tried a forum and looking at all the other questions im pretty sure it wont get answered but ill try anyways

The way this forum works is that it is open to all posters and those that respond. What that means is that this is a volunteer forum. We all volunteer. We all have other jobs. Not all posts will be answered immediately because not everyone in the forums knows 100% of everything.
It is not fair to say that "it probably won't get answered".

We do our best. We do have a waiting room that you can post in AFTER 3 DAYS. It is checked regularly by staff.

So please stay and offer your knowledge on some of the subjects.

Thank you

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The CPU (processor) will be removable. The white socket around it wont be. The retaining clip that that fan clips onto is most likely removable as well.
However it sounds like the original poster is trying to put his processor (most likely a Intel Celeron of some sort) into a board that doesn't take that type of Intel processor.

rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
In the world of DELL, HP and those kind of machines, the chipsets only support a certain series of processors. You cant necessarily upgrade even if a better processor fits. To be certain, call the factory tech support.