Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Writing to a CD-R recordable compact disc in a W98 pc

• Please log in to reply

wdc202

wdc202

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Help please in using a “CD-R 4x CD Recordable CD (650MB, 74 MIN” in my W98 pc.

My CD drive is G:. When I go to DOS and enter G: and then G:\>dir I get the normal message saying “No file found and 650 MB free.”

But when I try to write to the CD (say a message composed in WORD and then Saved As to the G: drive), I get this message: “Cannot save. The folder is marked ‘Read Only’”.

How DO I write to this “recordable” CD? Thanks.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Hi Wdc202
You neeed cd burning software to write to cd/dvd
Cheers
Peterm

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,300 posts
Here is a google search that shows some free ones.

http://www.google.co.....RNING+ win 98

wdc202

wdc202

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
It turns out (on further looking) that I HAD a burner of sorts all along. Adaptec DirecCD was ON my pc. According to its Help menu it allows me to treat the CD (in my drive G:) just as I would a diskette in Drive A:. And it seems to work fine. Thanks again for your help.