Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

dreaded 0x7b

• Please log in to reply

pr0n

pr0n

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Okay I changed hardware on a system (dead MB) and need to somehow repair the SATA drivers on the OS to work with this new motherboard as many of you know you can't boot to the OS at all once you get the 0x7b BSOD for that reason. is there a way to boot with a linux disk or windows disk or put the drive into another machine and boot to it so you can delete the driver file, thus hopefully forcing it to load the generic IDE controller or maybe just change some file names?

Please don't tell me to reinstall the OS and load drivers there I know that will fix it but I'm trying desperately to avoid that on this machine.

Old MB was an ASUS with an 6150 LE chipset (Nvidia)

new system is an MSI with Nvidia MCP61 chipset

OS is Vista home premium

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,664 posts
unfortunatley when you do this kind of hw change and the chipsets are different, then you only have on course of action avialable. You will need to perform a system repair of the os.

See this guide: http://www.bleepingc...utorial148.html

Windows compiles core chipset/cpu drivers into the kernel and this can only be done during the "install". Thus the repair should resolve this issue. This should only take less than an hour to perform. It will not erase any data or settings.

pr0n

pr0n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
tried that, fails to install drivers on vista setup :*( guess wipe\reload is my only option.