Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Standard accounts are not limited

• Please log in to reply

awrose

awrose

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My specs:
Toshiba Satellite A205-S5825
Intel Pentium Dual-Core T2370 1.73GHz
2.5 GB RAM
32-bit operating system
120GB
Vista Home Premium SP1

I am the administrator on my computer and my son has a standard account.

I would like to set up parental controls on my computer. I tried using the Vista parental controls.

My problem is that my son's standard account doesn't require him to use my password to bypass the controls.

When logged on to his account, I clicked on the parental controls icon in the task bar. A window pops up that says, "You are a computer administrator and therefore have no parental control settings to view."

I created another "test" standard account and the exact same thing happens there as well.

Both this account and my son's account are labeled as "standard" in control panel:user accounts.

How can I get these accounts to work properly?

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
You set up a limited account for your son, but he does not need to put in a password to bypass the parental controls.
Does he need to put in a password to install a program?
UAC (user account control) is turned off.
This could have been turned off by a virus, but more likely by your son.
Open control panel (while loged on as administrator)
Select user accounts.
Click turn user account control on or off.
Turn on user account control.
Change your password, your son knows it.

awrose

awrose

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for the reply.

UAC is not turned off and never has been.

My son does not know my password. I only created a password 3 days ago. My son has not even been on the computer since then. It was only when I logged in to his account to "try out" the parental controls that I noticed that I was not required to put in my password in order to click on "allow" to bypass the controls. I created a test account and had the same results.

Even though these accounts are labeled as standard, the computer is treating them like administrators.

As I said in my first message, when logged on to his account, I clicked on the parental controls icon in the task bar. A window pops up that says, "You are a computer administrator and therefore have no parental control settings to view."

Jak6

Jak6

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I'm on my new computer and I made a Admin account and a separate account that I am going to use and only using the admin if I need to install updates or something [because there are viruses that only attack one user account at a time and then also if that happens I may be able to just delete it and use a new account :)

but the parental controls are working on mine...rather annoying...I have to use a password to delete something off my desktop LOL