Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can i delete these folders?

• Please log in to reply

ira_gaines

ira_gaines

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
While trying to solve my previous problem I came across a bunch of folders that seem to contain useless stuff.

Firstly this folder.

C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Installations

It seems to contain a lot of files that have itunes and ipod in the titles. I don't have any programmes connected to itunes though I think the person who used the computer before may have had. Does this folder generally contain anything important or can it be emptied?

C:\Deckard\System Scanner\20080404183352\backup\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

This folder seems to contain old temporary internet files that aren't getting erased when I do it (I erase my TI files everyday) through explorer for some reason. Most of them are old jpegs that look like they can be gotten rid of but some are Javascript files and Sheet documents. Can these all be deleted?

C:\Deckard\System Scanner\20080404183352\backup\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp

In the folder above there are 35 folders whose names begin with "WER" such as

C:\Deckard\System Scanner\20080404183352\backup\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER09c2.dir00

What are these? Their properties indicate that most of them were created this year although that's not always reliable. I only ask because all together they take up over a GiG of space.

Thanks for any help.

Thanks

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
You can delete this folder, it is a malware removal tool we used to use here

C:\Deckard

Don't delete this one

C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Installations

ira_gaines

ira_gaines

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

You can delete this folder, it is a malware removal tool we used to use here

C:\Deckard

I remember downloading Deckard now.

But looking around the folder there seems to be a lot of files that really shouldn't be there. Yesterday I found an old media file I'd downloaded and deleted early in 2007 (I downloaded Deckard System Scanner in April 2008) which was in the folder below for some reason.

C:\Deckard\System Scanner\20080404183352\backup\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp

I also found the programme folder for Norton Internet Security which I removed over six months ago. How did those get in the Deckard Folder, especially the one I deleted before I even downloaded Deckard?

Many thanks.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
They were probably in your temp or recycle bin folders, Deckards System Scanner would remove those, thats why they are there