Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading an a6230n hp desktop's PSU & gfx card - need help

• Please log in to reply

bananaseed

bananaseed

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm trying to upgrade my PSU to get a new graphics card because my brother said I can't get the 9800 gt because of how bad my psu is.

I need help picking a psu that can handle a 9800 GT. And, will the 9800 gt even go with my computer?o.0

I have a;

hp pvailion a6230n

450W PSU

3Gb RAM after vista

pci-e x16 1GB ddr2 GeForce 8500 GT

-------------------------------------

and what I want is;

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
-----> http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139006

BFG Tech BFGE98512GTOCE GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
-----> http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814143160

---------------------------------------

I just want to be able to run gta iv on high with hd on and a higher resolution.

Can my computer handle that? and will I be able to put everything on high with no lag?

Does anyone know why I can't play cod 5 on the pc at a higher res than 800x600? I mean, I can play it with max everything on 800x600, but if I go to 1024x768 or anything over 800x600 I lag so bad, I can't even move. Same goes for GTA IV, I can only play it on 800x600 with everything on low everything. My brother and me think it has to be my graphics card, but neither of us are pros. We just just know how to do the little stuff, like changing the psu, memory,graphics cards etc so we're just specualting, really.

If anyone could help me with this I'd really appreciate it.

Here is what my monitor is incase it makes a difference at all.

HANNSPREE HF229 22" HD monitor/tv 3000:1 aspect ratio

Edited by bananaseed, 20 December 2008 - 02:11 PM.

Advertisements

THE PHENOM

THE PHENOM

• Pip
  • 5 posts
its says that video card needs a 425 psu you should get a biger one if u only have a 450 u could get away with 500-600 wat psubut if u use sata hard drives or sata anything make shure your new psu that connector and get one with a 6-pin pic connector u will use that to plug in the side of the new video card

the video card should work as long as u get a the one u need ie: if u need a pci-e 16x make shure its that and the psu and u will be playing gta in no time