Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I have questions (building a pc for the first time)

• Please log in to reply

Zanki

Zanki

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
I'm building my new pc and I don't want to get anything wrong. I've finally got the motherboard in the case (the [bleep] screws where too thin and wouldn't screw into the standoffs). I was about to put the CPU in but I wasn't sure which way it goes in, I really don't want to get this wrong since it cost a lot of money. The motherboard I've got is the NForce 780i SLI. Thanks for any help.

Edited by Zanki, 21 December 2008 - 12:09 PM.

Advertisements

charge06

charge06

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
the cpu will only go in one way. on one corner of the cpu it should be have a gold arrow or just gold in color or just yellow. match that up with the arrow on the socket on mobo,

if its a intel 775 socket there are also 2 notches you can line up.

and the wither intel or amd cpu's will just go right in no force needed, if it doesn't just drop in place its in wrong, never try to force it you will just bend the pins

Zanki

Zanki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

the cpu will only go in one way. on one corner of the cpu it should be have a gold arrow or just gold in color or just yellow. match that up with the arrow on the socket on mobo,

if its a intel 775 socket there are also 2 notches you can line up.

and the wither intel or amd cpu's will just go right in no force needed, if it doesn't just drop in place its in wrong, never try to force it you will just bend the pins

Thanks, I got it, I got a little worried I may break it.

Although I have another question. How do I connect my fans that came with my case to the motherboard, I don't appear to have the right connectors on the motherboard.

THE PHENOM

THE PHENOM

• Pip
  • 5 posts
there are 3 types of connectors for fans 3-pin 4-pin and molex

the 3 pin and the 4 pin are on the mother board

the molex is on the ps its a white with 4 connectors

the 3 pin can be a case fan and so can the molex

the 4 pin i know in my case i use for my cpu heat sink fan

so if u want to hook up a case fan it would be ez for u to get a case fan with a molex connector since alot of mother boards are set up difrently so its hard to say where on the board the connector is but if you look up your board u may be able to find out .

Zanki

Zanki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
...and yet another question, I'm driving myself insane here. I want to connect the front panel headers but I'm confused, does it matter which way round the power and the reset go into their places on the motherboard. I know the LEDs matter, but not the reset or power supply.

THE PHENOM

THE PHENOM

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I WOULD THINK NOT TRY IF DONT WORK THEN THERE IS ONLY ONE OTHER WAY RIGHT.