Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hangs at BIOS screen

• Please log in to reply

landa321

landa321

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
I was having several issues with this PC and decided to strip down and install XP on my new SATA HD. One of the problems that was happening before is still happening, so i want to get everything fixed before i move on.

When i turn on the PC, it takes a while for memory test. First it just says "Mem" for several second, then finally goes into memory test and the memory test comes up ok. I did try this with three different mem chips... same results.

then it hangs at "Memory runs at Single Chennel" for a while. After several minutes, it finally detects the drives, which right now is the new SATA HD ( SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive)
and my CD-ROM (NEC DVD-RW ND-1300A)
If I hit DEL to get into BIOS, it hangs forever at "Prepare to Enter Setup" it will get there eventually (30 minutes or so) if I leave it alone.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte 8IPE1000-G

Mind you... I am attempting to do a fresh install of XP on to this new SATA HD.
Last night, I was able to get into Windows setup. It did detect the new SATA HD in Windows Setup, but only showed about 13100MB and this HD is 750GB. I decided to stop there and go back to fix the BIOS hang issue first and then move on to the space issue.

oh, and the CPU is P4 2.40GHz
thanks!

Advertisements

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
http://www.geekstogo...ut-t221271.html
You really should stick to your original post for this problem. Add info to it instead of creating a new one. Electrons don't grow on trees you know.
There was an issue with Windows only reporting a max of 131GB of space. It was fixed in SP2, I think. You may also want to check the BIOS disk settings.

Edited by 98springer, 21 December 2008 - 01:16 AM.

landa321

landa321

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
sorry about that... thought i would have a more specific topic.

What am i looking for in BIOS disk settings?

landa321

landa321

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
by the way, i tried booting up with two memory sticks in on same color slots.
i got the same results, only this time, I got this error-

CMOS checksum error - Defaults loaded

landa321

landa321

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
update -
i removed all PCI slots and now the BIOS no longer hangs.
what next?

landa321

landa321

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
I have resolved the issue. thanks

landa321

landa321

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
in case anyone finds this by googling, searching, etc....

i removed everything from the system, except for the video card/monitor and one RAM stick.

It fixed the problem of the BIOS page hanging. Memory testing ran very quickly and I was able to go into BIOS super quick.

I then tried every PCI card one by one and everything still worked fine. I now put everything back in and am installing XP on my new hard drive. I don't know what was causing the problem, since everything is back in now and the problem is gone, but that is what I did.