Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor going crazy

• Please log in to reply

ajaustin12

ajaustin12

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I recently bought a new hdd a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250310AS 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s. I loaded windows xp pro on it and put in my drivers etc. While installing some software I went onto the internet to look up adobe flash player. While I was doing that my monitor would go black for a few seconds and then the picture would come up for less then a second. Once I closed the internet browser it stopped fucntioning like that. So when the software was finished installing I went back to adobe's site and it still continued to perform the same problem. I restarted my computer and went to the same site and still had the same problem.

I then uninstalled my graphics drivers and reinstalled them to see if that was the problem. It satarted to work fine but then I would get lines going through the screen. I would really notice them when I went to a website that had a dark background. Then the problem of the screen going black starteds to happen when changeing programs or certain websites.

I am almost sure it is either the graphics card or the monitor, but since I have little experience with computers I thought I would put this on here and ask people with more experience then myself.

Thank you

Advertisements

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Make sure that you didn't loosen the monitor connection on the back of the computer when you were installing the HDD. Have you tried removing whatever software you were installing when the problem started?

ajaustin12

ajaustin12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I ahve not removed the software. The soft ware that I wasinstalling was Kaspersky's Anti-virus. I had that on my old hdd and had no problems. A friend told me to hook up my monitor to my laptop to see if it has the same isssues to narrow it down.

When the problem fisrt started I did check the connection to my graphics card and monitor. I was also wondering if it could be the DVI cable. I was thinking of changing it out and use the VGA hook up on the monitor and the Graphics Card.

I am currently at work so I haven't been able to try all of these things. I just keep getting ideas of what could be the problem and asking for suggestions so when I get home I can try it out.

I will check the connection again and uninstall Kaspersky's if the connection is good. I will update when I have tried it out.

P.S. When I formatted the hdd installed Windows XP Pro the screen would also do the samething. It has done that since I can remember even with the old hdd but would stop as soon as windows would boot up. Well I should rephrase that. When I thought I got a virus I could not locate it so I reformatted my old hdd and it started to do the problem when in safe mode or when reformatting.

Thank you again

ajaustin12

ajaustin12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I went home and hooked my monitor up to my laptop using a VGA cable to try to replicate the problem. I was not able to replicate the problem so I hooked the VGA cable up to my home PC and had no problem. Only thing I can guess is the problem was with the DVI cable, Monitor DVI port, or the Graphics card DVI port.

Thank you