Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer won't login. Keeps restarting

• Please log in to reply

RunninTwentiFo7

RunninTwentiFo7

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
A couple hours ago I started hearing my hard drive making weird noises, so I decided to turn off my computer, then turn it back on again. However, when I went to go turn it back on it wouldn't login. It kept continously rebooting itself over and over again. I ran the computer in safe mode, and ran adaware and spybot search and destroy. It only found a couple of things, which I removed. I tried to boot the computer afterwards without safemode and It still kept restarting. Can anyone help? I don't really know whats wrong. I just experienced this issue a couple hours ago. Some possible reasons for this might be because:

1) I shutdown my computer 2 days ago, but then it said it was installing the windows updates and not to turn it off. My power went out, and so my computer shut off as it was doing the updates. When I turned the computer back on, it took an unsually long time to load. Then after it loaded I never turned off my computer again and its been on since.

2) I recently just downloaded a program called rainlendar from a weird site, not the official one. I opened of the installer and the title of it was something weird so I immediately x'ed out of it. This happened just a few hours ago. Then about 10 minutes after I x'ed out of it was when I started hearing my hard drive making odd noises.

Other Info:
-I do not have any anti virus running on the computer because it slows my computer down a lot.
-I always leave my computer on most of the time
-I have XP SP2 and It might have been updating to SP3?
-I tried to do a system restore, from last month but the "next" button doesnt respond when I press it.

Of course there could be tons of reasons why i am experiencing this, but im just trying to give as much information possible to get help. What do you think? Is it a virus? How do I remove it? What should I do! Am I screwed forever?

Edited by RunninTwentiFo7, 21 December 2008 - 02:00 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
No anti-virus on a computer is not a good idea in this day and age, we're a long way away from the days when you could get infected by leaving a disk in a drive. Your download was probably infected and now you are infected.

SP3 does not apply when you shut the computer down as it's far too big, it'll only install during Windows actually running, not shutdown.

Your best bet is a post in the Malware forum.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

RunninTwentiFo7

RunninTwentiFo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
thanks! that helped! I could actually get past the login in screen and it stopped restarting. I spent the whole day getting rid of crap on the computer. I just installed antivirus software too. Can I still post my logs in the malware forum for someone to look at? I want to make sure that everything is gone. I'm not having a specific probem..yet. So I dont want to wait until something bad happens again.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Yes go and post them in the Malware Removal forum

Squeegee-Beckenheim

Squeegee-Beckenheim

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am having the exact same problem. However, It happened early last year and am now using another computer. It would be nice to retrieve old, lost files though. How exactly did you solve your problem, if I may ask? Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)