Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

various problems with xp

• Please log in to reply

newbomb

newbomb

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hello everyone

I was searching for help on the internet when I found this forum and am hoping somone can help. Im not very good at computer stuff so bear with me! My problem started with my gateway desktop with window xp taking forever to boot then going to a black screen and staying there. I didnt know what else to do so I formated and reinstalled everything from the 3 disks that came with the computer. I then put service pack 2 on. After the process everything seemed ok and I logged on the net and went to a couple sites to make sure it was working. It seemed to be faster than before and I was pleased. I left for a couple hours and when I came back on logged on I got the "network cable unplugged" message. I was going to create my own profile seperate from my wifes anyway so I did this and was able to get on the net through my new profile. I did some surfing and logged off, the next morning my wife wasnt able to get on the net from either profile and we only get the cable unplugged message over and over. I tried changeing my speed settings and that didnt work and searched all over the net while using my laptop on the same internet connection via wireless for answers and have tried everything but its still a no go. I plugged my ethernet cable into my laptop to check it and it worked so Its good. I thought I could pull my card out and reseat it but it appears to be soldered in place. Thinking it may be a virus problem I bought norton 360 and loaded it but scans are showing clean. I read here where you can repair your software so I followed the steps and reinstalled my windows again, but still nothing. Yesterday we bought a wireless usb adapter and tried that but it wouldnt work either so we called their help line. They walked my wife through some steps and it showed we had SP1 and they said we needed SP2 which I thought I installed already. So I put the SP2 disk in thinking I didnt do somthing right the first time or when I reinstalled the windows again I wiped it out. I get an error message of "cyclic redundancy error".

Im sorry for the long post and Im at my wits end! Is there anything I can do?

Jeremy

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,
Welcome to GTG!

So, is your computer running at all right now, other than this "cyclic redundancy error"?

If so, please go to Start>run... type in devmgmt.msc and see if there are any red or yellow marks showing up. Expand the Device manager window so you can see all the list entries. If there are any marks, please list them in your next post.

Also, go to Start... right-click on My Computer, and select Properties from the menu. On the General tab of the System Properties window, what Service Pack is listed... is it SP1 or SP2?

newbomb

newbomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Ok I do not see any red or yellow markings anywhere and it shows Im running SP1. It took about 5 minutes to boot up today and it doesnt usualy do that. What next? Ill be checking in here all day. Oh ya still no internet and get the local area connection cable unplugged message.

Thanks!

Edited by newbomb, 22 December 2008 - 02:10 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

You can go HERE and dowload SP2. Download to you laptop and move it to your desktop... via Flashdrive, if you have one. Perhaps it'll clear everything up once you install it.

newbomb

newbomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I dont have a flash drive so I tried the disk again, first time I got the cyclic redundency check and the 2nd and 3rd time I got "extraction error" "incorrect function".

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I dont have a flash drive

Flash drives are cheap nowadays... you should have one just for this kind of scenario.

Do you have the same problem with other install disks? Maybe the SP2 disk is bad. Try another program install disk and see what happens.

Also, disable Norton when you try to install anything.

Edited by makai, 22 December 2008 - 04:51 PM.

newbomb

newbomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I am loading SP2 to a new disk and will try that. I tried the old disk while the norton was disabled but got the same message.

newbomb

newbomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Ok, SP2 is now installed and showing up properly. Still getting a network cable is unplugged message. Our internet is through AT&T using a 2701hg-b device. Their reps seem to thing we have some sort of virus but norton isnt showing one and we cant do anyother scans since we cant access the net.Any other ideas?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I doubt you have a virus given you were only able to connect to the internet for a very short time.

Please check your firewall settings, and also that norton is not intefering. I don't use norton, so I can't tell you what to check.

Have you tried reinstalling the LAN driver?

Also, can you tell me what model gateway you have. There may be an asset tag somewhere on the machine with the model number.

newbomb

newbomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I tried to check the firewall setting and it told me they werent able to be changed. The norton is new and we had the problem before we installed the new norton just a few days ago. I am at work and I work a 24 hour shift, dont get off until 7am tommorow but when I get home I will try the firewall again and get you the info off of the computer.

Advertisements

newbomb

newbomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
model number matxhrn nmz e2000

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I tried to check the firewall setting and it told me they werent able to be changed

Is this Windows Firewall, or a third party one?

model number matxhrn nmz e2000

Gateway has nothing on this. Is there an Asset or Service tag number?

newbomb

newbomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have a serial number of 0032946922 and it was made 03/02/04. The firewall was the windows fire wall.

Edited by newbomb, 25 December 2008 - 04:22 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Your computer is no longer supported by gateway.
Also, please edit your post and remove the product key... it should never be posted in an open forum Thanks!

I need to go investigate some things. I'll be back.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok, this what I've found out. Your 2701 is a bugger!!! Just kidding! :)

I've read over the manual, and I must say... it's very confusing compared to my stuff! I also did some checking on the net and found a person who apparently experienced something very similar. I don't know if you read it, but HERE'S the link. See if it helps... if it doesn't I'll keep searching.