Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue screen stop codes when trying to play games

• Please log in to reply

Dakan69

Dakan69

• Pip
  • 2 posts
So I've been having this problem for a while now and I'm thinking it might just be because my computer is 4 years old and needs a new video card, fan, or something.

(Using Windows XP Home, 1GiG ram, Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.20GHz (2 CPUs) with NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GTO video card).

I used to play Diablo 2, Heroes of Might and Magic 5, Call of Duty 4, World of Warcraft, etc. all of which used to work fine on this computer a year ago but I quit playing for a while. I recently installed some of these games again only to find out that my computer crashes to snow and blue screens after a couple minutes of play. Sometimes my screen does this while performing normal operations outside the game (by normal I mean writing a paper, surfing the internet, etc.) so that's why I'm figuring it's a hardware problem.

The stop screen errors I'm getting are related to nv4_disp.dll (my video card driver) when playing games (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA). My video card driver has always worked fine with these games however. I've tried downloading the latest drivers for EVERYTHING (processor, video card, sound card) and still getting the same problems. I've tried rolling back drivers. I've tried using an UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) in case it was a voltage issue. I've tried doing a PC restore (Dell has this option of rolling your computer back to how it originally came - kind of like reformatting your whole computer). None of these have worked so I'm guessing my video card and fans are just getting worn out? Maybe a battery needs to be replaced?

How do I find out what the problem is without having to spend a lot of money buying a bunch of parts I don't need?

Please help because all I have now is a reformatted computer with none of my music, pictures, or word documents that still won't play games.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA error usually indicates RAM problem (RAM installed on your motherboard, or video RAM).
Start with running memtest...

Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible.

Dakan69

Dakan69

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks ... sometimes I get the "IRQL" blue screen code. Does that also mean there's a RAM (memory) problem going on?

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL?
If so, that's also indicates RAM problem.