Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Home Edition & Remote Desktop Error

• Please log in to reply

EverythingShawna

EverythingShawna

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,
The other day since the weather was going to go bad my office decided that they'd set up Remote Access for all of us. Per everything I can find I should be able to access my desktop but for some reason every time I try I keep getting this message:

Remote Desktop Disconnected

This computer can't connect to the remote computer

I've tried numerous times with the two different computer names they gave me and I'm still getting the same message. The only thing I can think of that would be different from my system versus anyone elses would be the fact I have an Ethernet connection.

I have Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3

I've looked over every thing I can find and the only issue I'm seeing is the fact that every screen print and example is based off the Remote Desktop having XP Professional. But they do indicate I should still be able to access Remote Desktop.

I have one other option I can try but I thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas on what I could do without having to see if they'd give me the IP Addresses.

Thanks,
Shawna

Advertisements

lurky

lurky

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Are you connecting to your office's network via VPN? If you are, try to ping the computer name by going to Start > Run: cmd. In the black command prompt type Ping ComputerName.

Information on the network could be helpful. Is it a large corporate network, or is it a simple network with a Linksys or D-Link router?

EverythingShawna

EverythingShawna

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Its a corporate network.

I've tried straight access through Remote Desktop but I keep getting the error message. I couldn't even attempt to access VPN earlier because I had no IP Address.

I just pinged both computer names and both of them came back as "Request timed out" and "Ping statistics for IP address (I'm assuming its the IP address) Packets: sent=4, Received = 0 Lost = 4"