Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Oh the weather outside is frightful...

• Please log in to reply

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
At least where you are from people should have an idea how to drive in snow…. Down here in Virginia if we get ½ an inch on the roads everyone panics, and it seems like there is an accident every 40-50ft. I am from upstate NY so I don’t mind driving in it, but it’s everybody else you have to look out for :)

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Our problem is that people try to accelerate to quickly so it polishes the roads, making driving conditions far worse then what they ought to be. As far as snow goes, I don't think the city has ever 'closed down' due to a snow storm. We've had blizzards and everything, people still manage to get to work. When the roads become plugged people start blowing the snow out of the residential streets voluntarily. Last sevear blizzard we got was in 1996/1997, which followed with a huge flood. Thankfully we made a flood gate and moved more soil then any other man made project in the world (might be the second only to Panama Canal, can't remember now). There's your random fact of the day :)
James

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
How good are the plow guy's up there? They're pretty awful around where I live...

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Wow, plow guys? Like for real?

I remember watching the Simpsons as a kid, with the "Plow King" and "Mr. Plow" episode (competition between Homer and Barney).

I never thought once it was for real... I guess it's just cause I never really thought about it at all. We sure don't need people like that here!

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Yeah - For real. Real and dangerous...:)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
The plow guys are not that bad. You have to watch out because they need to go slower and turn more.
It just seems that they wait at the end of the street for us to finish clearing our driveways. We no sooner get done and they plow the street and dump the snow back in the end of the driveway.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
You live in...New York? And I live in...Maine? I wasn't specifically talking about the plow guys down there....I was talking about the plow guys up here who leave 2" of snow/slush on the roads. :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Yeah, that looks about right...:)

Basementgeek

Basementgeek

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 28 posts
Hi:

Here in Columbus Ohio our crews do a pretty good job with the major roads is all. They don't do a lot with the side streets. But this central Ohio and we don't get a lot of snow most years so there is not a whole lot of removal equipment.

I guess we have had only about 8-10 inches snow this season so far this year is all. I guess we get about 20-30 inches a season is about normal. However last Friday it was a -17F here and that is really cold for us.

BG

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Our plow guys A.K.A. mailbox murderers. This isnt a slam on them, they work hard and do a good job here in upstate NY, but I do have to keep a handful of mailboxes on hand for replacements.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yeah...when you're driving a massive truck with a big blade on the front (and are possibly drunk) plowing through a few feet of snow...a mailbox or two must be sacrificed...just get a big brick one

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
:)

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Swinging mailbox

Watch the video its totally worth it, hahahaha

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
one of my friends was having issues with someone playing mailbox baseball back when we were in high school....so we filled the mailbox with concrete and steel scrap (no real reason for the steel...just because)...the finished deal weighed about 40 lbs....we mounted back on the pole with 1.5" thick stainless bolts and set up a video camera....you'd be surprised what someone's arm can do when it breaks in 3 places