Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screen keeps going black/having distortions and occasionally resets

• Please log in to reply

liljohn7485

liljohn7485

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, Ive been having ongoing problems with my desktop PC running Windows XP. At first it seemed to be a problem related to a virus/trojan(specifically: "irc.backdoor.trojan") but it seems as if my problem may be more of a technical problem. I was on the lavasoftsupport forums for a while trying to troubleshoot and thats led me to this forum now. Heres the link to my thread over on that forum:

http://www.lavasofts...s...=21324&st=0

The resetting doesnt seem to happen as frequently as it did when I first started getting help, but my screen will have all kinds of distortions going on pretty much anytime i try to click on anything and sometimes without me even doing anything. The PC is basically unusable as the screen also goes black and comes back anytime you try to do anything and is incredibly slow to do anything at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
Two things come to mind at first.
1) The driver for your video card is not correct
2) Your video card is failing..
A third possibilty is a bad RAM module.
Please tell me the make and model of your computer (or video card if added after purchase) and I will find the correct driver for you.

liljohn7485

liljohn7485

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hello,
Two things come to mind at first.
1) The driver for your video card is not correct
2) Your video card is failing..
A third possibilty is a bad RAM module.
Please tell me the make and model of your computer (or video card if added after purchase) and I will find the correct driver for you.

HP Pavillion a700m it says on the front of the tower, but i installed a new video card when I got it(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200). Sorry for the delayed response.

liljohn7485

liljohn7485

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I apologize for bumping this but I havent received a response in over 2 weeks(i know it was the holidays and all so i waited for a while). Just dont want to get lost in the shuffle of things. Thanks. :)

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Please go to the Nvidia web site and download the correct driver for your video card.
Also, set the monitor to turn off after 20 minutes in power manigment

liljohn7485

liljohn7485

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Im sorry about the long response time.

I downloaded and installed the most recent Nvidia driver and upon the reboot the system started booting up, the power light was on the tower and then the screen stopped receiving any signal and the tower was basically running silent but nothing was coming through on the monitor. This isnt the first time this has happened, so I reset again and booted up and Im still having the same problems. I also changed the power settings as you suggested. What should I do next? Thanks.

amd64fx

amd64fx

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
A hard problem to detect for sure but my guess is the caps on the motherboard may be loose on the bottom of motherboard resulting in power issue. Um look at the caps around the processor and see if the tops are flat they have silver top and round. U could try to pull the battery and reset the cmos if ur motherboard has a jumper.