Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Seagate 6.0 gb thumb/flash drive

• Please log in to reply

moondog830

moondog830

• PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
I was in the process of transferring some downloaded demos and what not from my sister in law's computer to my laptop using my Seagate 6.0 gb thumb/flash drive. (It's round with a "retractable" usb tail and all of a sudden neither of the computers will read it. When I plug it into a usb port there is the "sound" that tells me it's registered as being plugged in, but the drive never shows up in Windows Explorer.

I brought it home and plugged it into my main computer and same thing happens ... I get the sound that tells me it's plugged in, but the drive does not show up.

This is very bad as I have also been using it to store some of my game work on sort of using it as an external HD between my laptop and my main computer.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get this to register?

Do you need more information?

Thanks for any help and Merry Christmas!

dog

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
If you are plugging it into a port on the front of the computer, it may just be a current issue as the front ports on some computers are limited. Try one of the rear USB ports.

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
Actually I plugged it into the front and back and 3 different computers and it wouldn't work. I rebooted those same computers and it didn't work. After the wife went to bed last night I thought 'let me try one more time' and plugged it into the front of my MAIN computer and voila .... it's working again. I'm sorry to have bothered anyone and have no idea why it is suddenly working as I did nothing different but it appears my problem is solved.

Thanks for the response so quickly makai.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Well, I'm glad you got it going. Don't you just hate it when that happens!!! :)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too! :)

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
Yeah, I have so many stories like that.

I wouldn't have freaked out, but so much of my work on our company's latest game is on that that I was almost
crying

:)

dog