Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 98SE RUNDLL error

• Please log in to reply

Lacness

Lacness

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,
I am new to GTG & your forum. Here is my problem & I hope you can help me.
When I boot up my PC, which is running Windows 98SE, I get the following message...
RUNDLL Error Loading:
C:\WINDOWS\CFGMGR51.DLL The system cannot find this file. I click the OK button & continue.

Previously to this happening, I was working with Microsoft PCSafety support staff on fixing what appeared to be a Browser Hijacker problem I was having when using Internet Explorer to enter various websites (I kept getting DNS type errors).
Anyway, I have run Adware SE, SpyBot, Trend.Housecall online & Norton 2004 Anti-Virus Scan. I can now access the Internet, but am still being plagued by teh CFGMGF51 message. Can you help me fix this problem? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I've seen a similar problem to mine discussed by another member, but he was running Windows XP. I thought it best to get help on the Op. System I'm using, just in case the remedy is slighly different.

Advertisements

Technogeek8

Technogeek8

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Why can't you just open your autoexec or sys.ini and rem out the command. OR better yet, do it using msconfig...Do a find for msconfig and check to see what's loading at boot. Tell me what happens

David

Lacness

Lacness

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi David,
Please clearify ... are you saying you want me to type msconfig from the START/RUN button & remove something? My error message is complaining about NOT finding this file, so what would I look for to remove? Gary